savage short action bolt head vrs long action

foreign

is there anything stopping me using a savage short action bolt head in a long action. apart from the little milled out slot on the back of the long action bolt head which i would have to do to the short action bolt head. the cams on the long action bolt head are thicker but with the savage could i not just thread the barrel in further to make up for this to get the right head space.
If this isnt possible then does anyone have a long bolt head they would swap for a short action one in 7mm08 face that they would be willing to ship to nz.
or i pay you via palpay and you get ione from midway usa and ship it to nz at my expense.
cheers

I have presonally done this the other way, long action bolthead on a short action and it works fine. So I would ASSUME:rolleyes:as long as you mill out the little indentation on the bolthead you should be fine.

You may want to PM geargrinder, he's very sharp on the Savages.

Chris

im doing a build where im using a short 11 savage with a 308 bolt face. the magnum ill be using is slightly longer and will need trimming. also the firing pin hole needs opening up as well as the notch you mention. we will chamber as you indicated for the lug varieation. we wont be using the barrel nut.

I've got a standard bolt head off a Stevens 200 that I could get rid of. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts