Long Action vs. short Action

coues7

Are there any benefits to going with a short action? I've heard they are stiffer....thus more accuracy and consistency....but don't allow long seating length which could be problematic.

Thanks

If you want a short action caliber, such as the 308 or 708 and such, then yes, there is a great benefit to a short action and with most short action calibers, feeding is not an issue. An exception would be the 6.5-284 and similar. If you want a long mag or 3006 type, then the long action is of benefit. There is NO benefit to using a short action for a long case and vice versa. The bottom line is that there is nothing wrong with either as long as you use them for the purpose they were intended. In the intance of using a long case, the slightly less rigid long action is a very small sacrifice for proper feeding. Yes short actions are stiffer but not so much so that they are worth sacrificing other qualities, bearing in mind that most short action cases will feed in a short action just fine. It would be trying to feed a long case in a short action that wouldnt help you any. Now if youre trying to build a 6.5x284, a long action is of greater benefit for loading and feeding issues. If you spend much of your time hunting coues deer in the country I typicaly hunt them, you might want a short action for weight and overall length purposes. Obviously, you would use a short caliber as well.

To sum it up. The 3 biggest benefits to a short action is rigidity, lighter weight and an overall more compact rifle.

The biggest benefits to a long action. Bigger cases, more energy, less trajectory.

Ask yourself which qualities you need the most.

They are indeed stiffer and also the shorter brass case allows full loads of powder which many believe induceive to better accuracy.

I'm going to have ga precision built me a custom rifle.....I'm trying to decide between the 300 Win Mag and the 300 WSM. I will be using the rifle for long range hunting (bear, deer and elk) out to 1000 yards.

Scott

i would say the exact opposite. if your decision is between the 2, i would go with the win mag.for a 1k elk rig you want the heavier bullets and the long mag will shoot them around 200 fps faster.

My current stick I'm beginning with is a lefty Remington 40x single shot short action in 280 Rem. This is of course a '06 length round, but no mag as it's single shot. Big heavy 27" stainless barrel with alittle taper.

Did they make this sucker up wrong, or is it alright being a single shot? These are Remington factory rifles, but they aren't cheap to purchase. I bought mine in like new condition for around $1200 USD and feel that's not too bad.

Just like to know if the short action is wrong for the 280?

I dont know for a fact if the 40x is available in a short action with a 280 chambering.

What I do know is that when you enter the realm of single shots, the rules change. This is because there are no feeding issues. Some single shot actions have no opening at the bottom which makes them stiffer. Then add more stock material under the action and it is stiffer yet. Make it a short action and you have one stiff rig. It is possible to use a short action with a 280 case. Obviously, it would be used as a single shot whether it was a true single shot or not.

Clear as mud right?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

This reciever is short action. No magazine, solid bottom reciever and solid stock, in 280 rem. Of course I feed one at a time, but seems odd that Remington would make something like this. Never seen one similar to the one I own.

Quite certain it's a real single shot as the reciever is solid and no milling-cut has been performed under the bolt. Stange weapon for a newbie like myself.

Good question.

Last week I took it out to our new county range and mounted the super sniper 10x a friend gave me. Once sighted I shot a group of 3 shots at 100yds because it was so bloody cold out. Only three shots, and minimal wind, but you could cover the holes with a .375 dia bullet. In fact one went right thru the first initial hole. Hornady 139 sst.

I went hunting with a friend in Montana, and he was using it to take deer at the 600+ yd mark. He gave me the scope for the use of the rifle.

I've never owned a rifle set up like this, and will be taking a class by Shawn Carlock in may, learning how to use at long ranges.

When the weather gets better I'll be taking it out again and plan to go to 500 yd mark this time. This stick really has me wanting to shoot, and I love the very little recoil it produces. Makes shooting enjoyable.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts