which 223?

Billdogge

Longest shot at my range is 300yards so I'm looking for a .223 that will fit this purpose. Which bolt gun would you get? Also wouldn't mind a kind range pistol in that caliber. Any thoughts?

Thanks

If you're looking at tikka, take a peek at the T3 stainless varmint. Comes as a heavy barrel. Myself, I have one in 300wsm and love it... though I still haven't found a varmint "needing" a 300wsm pill.

I made this decision myself not long ago. I went with the Mossberg MVP Varmint and I am very happy with it. They also make a version of this rifle with a muzzle threaded for a suppressor, which is a nice touch.

What rounds are you finding the most accurate in the Mossberg? What's the barrel twist?

Thanks

The barrel is a 9 twist. I have fired 75 grain AMAX through it and they stabilize, but I haven't had time to go through load development with them, yet, so I don't know how well they will shoot.

Again without going through load development, it shows a lot of promise with 69 grain SMK's and CFE223, loaded to mag length. I shot a fast 10 round group @ 100 yards that went into less than an inch, with 5 of those rounds going into one ragged hole. With some tuning, I think that combo is going to be VERY accurate.

I want to work more with the 69 SMK's and do development with 53 VMAX's. With the heavies, I intend to use a single shot follower in the mag to allow me to tune seating depth.

IMO, the MVP Varmint is a feature packed rifle that gives a lot of value for the money. With Savage like features (barrel nut, an Accutrigger style trigger, and replaceable bolt head), the MVP also has a lot of potential for user customization later. I REALLY like this rifle!

I love tikkas... I own 3 t3 lites in stainless from 243 to 30-06, and a t3 tactical in 308 which is my favorite of all the 308s I own. However, I picked up a Savage Hog Hunter 223 on a whim last year and it is quite simply amazing. It shoots fiocchi 69gr HPBTs into one ragged hole at 100 yards, and just a week or so ago, I took it out to sight in a new scope and it shot cheap American Eagle 50gr Varmint Tips into .3x groups. After the first group... I ran the rest of the box and the first 3 of the next because I just couldn't believe it. Thank god I picked up a ton of that AE 50 Vts... Because it shoots a dream out of this rifle also.

So far, everything has shoot well out of it, but the fiocchi and American Eagle shoot astoundingly well, out of a $400 rifle with absolutely no upgrades.

Add to this you get a semi heavy contoured threaded barrel, as well as open sights if you choose to use them, and there's nothing out there at that price point that really compares in my book. Heck, it shoots better than some rifles twice + the cost. Here's a pic of what it can do out to 100 yards with cheap ammo.

image.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.