Which Scope

SIRGARRETH

I am sure this has been asked a thousand times. I am new to rifles and any advice I can get I am sure will save me time and money.
Rifle: Remington 700 SPS .308 (stock might get chaned in future)
Rings: ??
Base: ??
So far i am looking at:
Nikon Buckmaster 3-9X40
SWFA SS10X42
Bushnell 3200 series
Vortex Viper 6.5-20X44

Most shooting will be at a range of 100yds. Cant find a range in Miami or near that has anything more than that. I would like to use this set up for Hog in the future. This set up will also be given to my son after I build a nice custom set up later on, so this is a start up learning the basics rifle.

Either the Nikon or a 3200. If you go 3200, their product lines have changed a bit and some of the 3200's have been EOL now, so be aware. Honestly for 100 yards, that Nikon would be really the most sensible. Then again Vortex makes scopes in that power range too.

For hunting / shooting 300 yards or less, Id go with 12x or less max power. In fact, for 200 or less, I would stare hard at the 2x7-32 Viper. Too much power is just that, Too Much! The 6x20 would be for 600yards+++. In all honesty I rarely dial on more that 14x even out to 1k, unless I am trying to "Quick Spot" something. But for spotting, a good pair of bino's are 100000000x better than using a scope!

Good Hunting,
Gary

I stand on the other side of the street on the power issue. All my rifles have 6-18 or 6.5-20 on them. I like to be able to see my target clearly at 200yds and beyond for fine work. I want to know exactly how much that deer is actually quartering before I send a bullet to him. Aim small, miss small. I can keep all my shots inside a pie plate at most ranges, that's not good enough, I want them all under MOA at the respective range (i.e. under 1" at 100yds, under 6" at 600yds, etc.). Just me though. JohnnyK.

Nikon is the clearest glass, I've used under low light conditions. I'd hate to have a run-in with a hog near dusk with a bushnell, or such. It will be worth the money.
I don't know the light transmision with Vipers. I my limitted experience with optics I haven't found a brighter scope than my buckmaster or monarch.

Thanks guys. I think I am going to go with the Nikon Buckmaster 3-9X40 BDM. From the reviews i have found, it sounds like e great scope for the money. Honestly, this is going to be a practice rifle for the most part and maybe out to 100yds 95% of the time. I think I am going to go with Leupold PRW rings and a Warne 20MOA base. These good? Or should I look at other rings and base???

Good scope choice sir, I believe you will enjoy it.

This guy does truly excellent scope reviews (with detailed, expert observations) -
"Inexpensive Scope" Comparison

and this is a direct link to some information that will assist you I believe.

A Warne 20moa weaver 1 piece type base would be fine, I think Burris Signature Zee rings are made for that type base as well. Honestly they are pretty dang good rings. The inserts really help in getting things centered up. Not exactly a tactical ring set, but I have never had a set go south on me, and I have taken one or two unpleasant spills while trying to follow a game trail over the years.

Good Shooting,
Gary

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.