.223 WSSM

ddubas

I would like some feedback from anyone who is shooting this round. I want to start shooting a fast twist .22 cal. I see that factory barrels have a 1 in 10 twist. would this work for 70-80 gr. bullets if i push them fast enough?

10 twist would probably stabilize the 69/68's which r very good varmint bullets, but if u can get ahold of some JLK 65 LD's that'd probably be a great bullet out of the various 223 WSSM's. The BC is .395, and rated for 10 twists. Unfortunately JLK's out of business, but he tells me whoever buys the business should still offer them.

ddubas
You might want to talk to Chris Matthews (longshotrifles.com) He is shooting one with a fast twist with great results. He used 90 grain smks on goats this year. I don't know if you were looking to go that heavy but they are awsome.

The 1 in 10 twist is to slow for 75 and 80 grain .22 cal bullets. You really need a 1 in 8 or 1 in 7. As for caliber i would look past the 223 wssm and look into a 22-243 or 22-6mm. Super easy to neck down and brass selection is much better. They both will do what the wssm will do and then some. Good luck

Thanks for all the feed back. I thought a 1 in 10 wouldn't work, but i had to ask. i had a .22-250 AI a few years back, but that had a 1 in 14 twist and i was just trying to push them as fast as i could. I am really thinking about having one of them built again but with a 1 in 8 twist. Thaks again for all the info.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.