1x8 twist

Greg Duerr

Ive read that the 1x8 twist is the way to go if you want to shoot the 105 VLD's and down to th 75gr V-Max................
This twist rate thing has puzzled me....................
With a .243 Ackley...........would the 1x8 work with these bullet weights.........?

Not sure

Greg

It should work just fine... The lighter weight bullet would be the concern, if any.

The rifling twist imparts spin to the bullet in flight (like throwing a spiral football). The longer/heavier the bullet, the faster you need to spin it in order to stabilize it in flight.

While there is some risk of overstablizing light weight/shorter bullets which would degrade accuracy, the bigger problem is when you understabilize the longer/heavier bullets. That problem is compounded when you consider that the these are the high BC bullets preferred for LRH.

When in doubt, build your rifle with a twist sufficient to stabilize the heaviest/longest bullet that you intend to shoot.

Hope this helps,
richard

I'm running a 1-9"tw on my current 243AI and it loves the 105's, both VLD's and Amax's. I haven't tried any light bullets in it. Though I've had no issues running 40Vmax's in my 1-8" 223AI's and a 1-8" 22-250.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.