223 precision action, suggestions?

arizona1650

Recently purchased a Bartlien barrel blank with intention of building a precision AR. I've spoken to several reputable gunsmiths in my area and they recommend installing it on a bolt gun due to machining cost. So now I'm looking for input on actions to build a precision bolt gun. The barrel is 24" long, 4 groove rifling, 1/8 twist for 68g bullets. I'm planning to chamber in 223 wylde. Im leaning towards an accuracy international stock.

Any input is appreciated.

Phil

Hard to find an action that is specifically designed for the .223 and feeds them well. My cousin has a custom 700 .223 AI and even with 75gr A-MAXs loaded long, you have to help guide the round up into the chamber when single loading. My Dad has the same problem with his Model 700 VS .222 when single loading it. The best thing to do is buy a solid follower or feed it from a magazine. I would suggest getting a blueprinted/trued Model 7 or Model 700 short action.

arizona1650,

I've spoken to several reputable gunsmiths in my area and they recommend installing it on a bolt gun due to machining cost.
Is it a straight contour barrel? Then I could see a lengthy time to contour and cut the gas block seat, then thread and chamber the blank. If it is a #6, 5 or 4, there shouldn't be a tremendous amount to the contour. It depends on what you have and what you want as an end result.

With a Bartlein barrel and a heavy wall receiver plus the other best quality parts and trigger, you should be able to have a top quality, accurate AR15. Here is a fine article with many of the details spelled out for you:

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com...-to-build-a-truly-accurate-ar-platform-rifle/

Regards.

If you decide against the AR then you could find a good Model 7 to use a Kiff dbm conversion or maybe even a Baby Sako, M461 to build on. The Sakos were scaled to the cartridge.

Last edited:
Recently purchased a Bartlien barrel blank with intention of building a precision AR. I've spoken to several reputable gunsmiths in my area and they recommend installing it on a bolt gun due to machining cost. So now I'm looking for input on actions to build a precision bolt gun. The barrel is 24" long, 4 groove rifling, 1/8 twist for 68g bullets. I'm planning to chamber in 223 wylde. Im leaning towards an accuracy international stock.

Any input is appreciated.

Phil

They make this with 223 bolt face

Model VR - Bat Machine Co. precision rifle actions, machining and tooling

You can call find out what custom bottom metal/magazine work for 223 vs using factory

I kind of have what you are asking about. I have a Stiller tac30, bartlien m24, in a AICS.

I have had zero problems feeding from the stock 223 AI mags. Other then it being heavy, it has been a great tool for teaching my kids how to shoot. I am sure there are other options, but that has been my experience.

Hard to find an action that is specifically designed for the .223 and feeds them well. My cousin has a custom 700 .223 AI and even with 75gr A-MAXs loaded long, you have to help guide the round up into the chamber when single loading. My Dad has the same problem with his Model 700 VS .222 when single loading it. The best thing to do is buy a solid follower or feed it from a magazine. I would suggest getting a blueprinted/trued Model 7 or Model 700 short action.

I have several 700's in other calibers but I'm not familiar with the model 7. I will research.

arizona1650,

Is it a straight contour barrel? Then I could see a lengthy time to contour and cut the gas block seat, then thread and chamber the blank. If it is a #6, 5 or 4, there shouldn't be a tremendous amount to the contour. It depends on what you have and what you want as an end result.

With a Bartlein barrel and a heavy wall receiver plus the other best quality parts and trigger, you should be able to have a top quality, accurate AR15. Here is a fine article with many of the details spelled out for you:

GUN TECH — How to Build a Truly Accurate AR-Platform Rifle « Daily Bulletin

Regards.

If you decide against the AR then you could find a good Model 7 to use a Kiff dbm conversion or maybe even a Baby Sako, M461 to build on. The Sakos were scaled to the cartridge.

It is a straight 1.25" contour. Heavy beast in stainless. I'm looking for a 3/4" straight contour for the most part. The smiths are telling me to get a prefabbed AR barrel for 3-400 bucks and they think the accuracy will be comparable. Just the bartlien blank alone costed 585$. Then the machining and I will be digging deep just to achieve an accurate AR that could be achieved by a prefab....

arizona1650,

GUN TECH — How to Build a Truly Accurate AR-Platform Rifle « Daily Bulletin

Regards.

I will read the article.. thank you!

I kind of have what you are asking about. I have a Stiller tac30, bartlien m24, in a AICS.

I have had zero problems feeding from the stock 223 AI mags. Other then it being heavy, it has been a great tool for teaching my kids how to shoot. I am sure there are other options, but that has been my experience.

Any pics? Would love to see it!

I'm not real familiar with the Ackley. This is why I ask for suggestions, gives me ideas to research.

Thanks guys for all the info. I will be working on my homework!

It won't give you a lot of velocity increase, but the Ackley 40º case design is a more efficient case design, and will also keep you from having to trim brass as often, because the 40º shoulder is sharper, and doesn't allow the brass to flow as easily. So, there's lots of advantages to Ackley Improved cartridges, over their standard SAAMI counterparts...The increase in case capacity and velocity are just positive byproducts.

It is a straight 1.25" contour. Heavy beast in stainless. I'm looking for a 3/4" straight contour for the most part. The smiths are telling me to get a prefabbed AR barrel for 3-400 bucks and they think the accuracy will be comparable. Just the bartlien blank alone costed 585$. Then the machining and I will be digging deep just to achieve an accurate AR that could be achieved by a prefab....

For the AR, the best barrels for the money are the Rainier Arms barrels. They're made from Shilen blanks, and will run you under $300 for most of them. I have 2 of them on AR's (5.56 & .300 Blackout) and they shoot AMAZING!

I recommend a standard weight 16" barrel with a carbine-length gas system on it.

https://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-arms-mountain-series-cold-hammer-forged-barrel-5-56mm-nato

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.