223 suggested loads

Iron Worker

I have 500 primed brass,along with 500 winchester 64gr soft point spitzer bullets.Shooting out of AR-15 h_bar 1in 9 twist.Any suggested loads would be cool.Shooting Sierra 69gr Match Kings I use 26.0 of AA2520.I get consistant MOA with those.
smile.gif

With your fairly fast twist ...well compared to mine
grin.gif
6brguy hit it perfect ..I Would say the Varget would be the one! That is what I would give a try first...it's great stuff really, it is not temp sensitive and pretty much everything I have tried it in it's very accurate.
smile.gif

Regarding 223 caliber:

what about a 1 in 12 twist? 24 inch barrel? remmie 700 in 223 caliber? What would be a good bullet and load for that combo?

target shooting for accuracy to as far out as I can.

Thank you!

Iron Worker

With a powder that can be as unstable and variable as AA 2520 its hard to say. Being the 64 is a flat base, I'd bet the bearing surface is pretty similar to the 69 and with only 5 grains less weight-- try your normal load and see what happens would be my thoughts.

Varget doesn't meter bad and its pretty easy to get along with. I"ve dumped all my 300 yard line rapid fire ammo with a Dillon and varget and shot really tight groups that way. Mostly because if you are in a sweet spot with varget a few tenths one way or another just don't matter at short ranges like 300 and under.

Beware AA powders. Being surplus and bought from differing countries at times, they can change drastically from one lot to another and 2520 is pretty temp sensitive when I shot it years ago.

Good luck, Jeff

I load all my .223 rem ammo with Hodgdon H335. It meters nicely since it is a ball powder.

My bulk 55 grain FMJ and SP are at the recipie book max. My 64 grain winchester sp "light deer" load is a "work up" since (if I remember right) the hodgdon book dosen't list a 64 grain bullet specifically. My 55 gr Ballistic tip load is exactly 1 grain less than the book max. I will try to get the exact weights for you tomorrow.

I dont do much with my 64 grain load so I can't say what size groups it gets but my 55 grain ballistic tip loads give consistant 1 1/2" groups from my Ruger Mini 14 through a pre ban factory barrel. I'm not 100% certain but I think it is a 1:7 twist.

I shoot the 69gr SMK's in my Savage 110FP .223 using 25.0gr of H4895 and Rem 6.5 primers. Three shots in .212" @ 100yds averaged 2981fps outta 24" tube.
Just recently tried Nosler 55gr Ballistic Tips with 26.0gr W748, Rem 6.5 primer. Best 3-shot group so far is .136", worse .317" @ 100yds. Haven't chrono'd this load yet. Hope this helps. Also, check out "www.reloadersnest.com". Johnny K.

Johnny K Man I'm hearing great stuff about how well a savage shoots.I just don't care for their looks a whole lot..212 man thats awesome.My 6x284 with a match BBl can't get that on its best day.Any way I'm loading for an AR-15 H-Bar.Its my one of my coyote guns.
grin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Regarding 223 caliber:
what about a 1 in 12 twist? 24 inch barrel? remmie 700 in 223 caliber? What would be a good bullet and load for that combo?

target shooting for accuracy to as far out as I can.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yogi,
50gr bullets and W748, H335, BLC2, 4895 always seem to be popular powders when using this combo you asked about. I've got the same Rem700 12 twist Varmint special and mine loves W748 w/ 50gr Nosler BT. This load goes sour in colder weather. But during hot PD shooting days.... it's a killer. A 223 with 50gr bullet reaching out to PDs in touchy wind is a real challenge. Loved every minute of it.
grin.gif

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.