Bolt action 223 options

engineer40

My dad decided he wants a 223 for plinking. I loaned him an extra AR15 that I own along with 100 rounds of ammo, and it sat in his rifle safe for the last few months. When I questioned him, he said he doesn't like AR's. I remind him that AR's are lightweight, accurate, reliable, easy to maintain, easy to shoot, etc... He agrees and then says he just doesn't like them. OK, I get it... they are not for everyone. (Except he is grinning from ear to ear every time he shoots one of my AR's. I think he just doesn't want to be seen in the woods with a "black rifle")

I've been doing some research. Are there any bolt action 223's out there that have a shorter 16-20 inch barrel with a 1:7 twist?

The CZ 527 comes close, but only has a 1:9. With a short barrel I don't know if I 1:9 twist will stabilize the heavier bullets.

Most Savages have a 1:9 also. Except their 12 Varmint rifle. But that's a 10lb rifle with a 26 inch barrel. Not what he's looking for.

Thanks!

Ruger American comes in a few variations, in 223 Rem, all with a 1:8" twist. The 1:8" twist will stabilize even the 77gr HPBT SMKs and Bergers with no problem. I have shot both of those bullets from over a dozen 1:8" twist 223 Rems out to 880 yards with excellent accuracy and no signs of instability. I have even shot the 77gr SMKs from a couple of 1:9" twist Remington Mil-spec 5R 223s out to 880 yards, and they too were stable and very accurate.

Take a look at the Ruger American Ranch 223, if you want compact length with a threaded heavier barrel. Try a Predator if you want a full 22" threaded heavier barrel. I got the Ruger American Standard in a left-hand 223 Rem for my 6 year old granddaughter but, I don't see that one listed in the 2019 Ruger Catalog. It shoots sub-MOA with even the cheap American Eagle 55gr FMJ junk, it is shooting 5 round groups of the 77gr SMK Black Hills Match in less than 1/2 MOA at 100 yards and this is with Ruger's lightweight barrel on the Standard model.

I'm trying hard not to buy myself one in the Predator version. I already have a Remington 700 Mil-spec 5R in 223 that shoots 77gr Black Hills Match and FGMM in the .3s, a Browning A-Bolt Mico Hunter and a Compass that shoots everything that I've put though it sub-MOA. I really don't need another 223 but, I own seven Ruger American Centerfire rifles of various calibers/cartridges, and every single one of them shoot sub-MOA! I can't hardly stand not to have one in a 223 Rem, especially a Predator model! Can you say; "addicted"?!!! Guilty, as charged!

I have one of the older CZ-527 Carbines with the 1:12" twist. I've been chasing accuracy with it for years. I don't think it's all the rifle; I may have had a scope go bad. I put it down for a while after the last time I was trying to figure out the problems and getting 8" groups at 50 yards, then put the suppressor on and couldn't even find the holes on my backer. I'm going to bed it, and then put some 55gr match ammo through it under another scope. I imagine it will perform fine, I just haven't found a useful combo, yet.

I have one of the older CZ-527 Carbines with the 1:12" twist. I've been chasing accuracy with it for years.

Try 52gr SMKs. My Browning A-Bolt Micro-Hunter Lefty (my son's 1st centerfire, 20 years ago) has a 1:12" published twist that actually measures 1 in 12-3/4". It will not shoot 55gr bullets or above. The 55gr, even match, shoot 1-1/2 MOA or greater at 100 and 200 yards; handloaded SMKs, factory Black Hills Match, FGMM, doesn't matter. No 55gr or up shoot under 1-1/2 MOA. 64gr and up keyhole through the target at 100 yards. 77gr tumble at 30 yards!

What I did find was that rifle will bughole 52gr SMKs! It usually shoots .2s to .4s at 100 yards!

I almost rebarreled it. Even bought a Bartlein Featherweight 21" SS 1 in 8" twist 5R barrel for it but, just can't bring myself to rebarrel a hunting rifle that shoots in the .2s to .4s... It is murder on crows and my son took his 1st buck with it at 5-1/2 years old. It had killed eight deer by the time he was ten. All neck shots. All with the 52gr SMKs.

Black Hills has their Match 223 Rem loaded with the 52gr SMKs available in boxes of 50 rounds and in 1,000 round cases. I've never seen them in FGMM. In my 52gr SMK 223 Rem handloads, I recently swapped from RL-15 to RL-16 and have had great results. Reloder 16 is way more temperature stable. I was seeing major velocity and accuracy swings in the Reloder 15, especially when temperatures vary from above 95°F in summer to below 35°F in winter. Incidentally, I also went to using only RL-16 in my 69gr and 77gr 223 Rem handloads for all my other 223 Rem rifles, as well.

Try 52gr SMKs. My Browning A-Bolt Micro-Hunter Lefty (my son's 1st centerfire, 20 years ago) has a 1:12" published twist that actually measures 1 in 12-3/4". It will not shoot 55gr bullets or above. The 55gr, even match, shoot 1-1/2 MOA or greater at 100 and 200 yards; handloaded SMKs, factory Black Hills Match, FGMM, doesn't matter. No 55gr or up shoot under 1-1/2 MOA. 64gr and up keyhole through the target at 100 yards. 77gr tumble at 30 yards!

What I did find was that rifle will bughole 52gr SMKs! It usually shoots .2s to .4s at 100 yards!

I almost rebarreled it. Even bought a Bartlein Featherweight 21" SS 1 in 8" twist 5R barrel for it but, just can't bring myself to rebarrel a hunting rifle that shoots in the .2s to .4s... It is murder on crows and my son took his 1st buck with it at 5-1/2 years old. It had killed eight deer by the time he was ten. All neck shots. All with the 52gr SMKs.

Black Hills has their Match 223 Rem loaded with the 52gr SMKs available in boxes of 50 rounds and in 1,000 round cases. I've never seen them in FGMM. In my 52gr SMK 223 Rem handloads, I recently swapped from RL-15 to RL-16 and have had great results. Reloder 16 is way more temperature stable. I was seeing major velocity and accuracy swings in the Reloder 15, especially when temperatures vary from above 95°F in summer to below 35°F in winter. Incidentally, I also went to using only RL-16 in my 69gr and 77gr 223 Rem handloads for all my other 223 Rem rifles, as well.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give them a try. Nothing looks bad with this rifle, I just think it's a combination of a cheap scope that was hauled from one end of the country to another with multiple moves and not finding the right load, yet.

I do have a Remington Model Seven .223 that I haven't shot, yet, and am going to build into a 6.5 Grendel. A buddy has the same rifle and his shoots great.

Just so you know 22-53gr VMAX's have a .290 BC G1. So you really don't need a 1-7" twist for a plinker.

Thanks for the suggestion SMK1000plus! He actually owns a Ruger American in 450bushmaster now and likes the gun. I think that is a good suggestion to have him look into one in 223.

I shoot the 77gr Sierra TMK's in an 18 inch 1:7 barrel. I get 2,740 to 2,750fps with zero pressure signs... which I'm very happy with. That's at 5.56 pressure, not 223. Using IMR 8208, which people say is very temp insensitive. The TMK's have a G1 BC of .420 and even though it's not a hunting bullet, seems like many guys use them for hunting. I did get an accurate load at 2,790fps avg, with very little to no pressure signs... but the SD was way too high compared to if I backed off just a bit. I load them really long, 2.266. They BARELY fit into a Pmag. :)

New Howas are 1:9. Sometimes they can be had for $300 plus shipping & transfer on GB. I know the Ruger American shoots awesome but I feel like the Howa is a better built rifle. Nothing objective, just opinion.

Tikka makes some 223 with a 1-8" twist barrel. I have the varmint and it is a shooter with 75gr ELDM at 3025 fps with H4895. They make the T3x Lite and Lite Compact in 1-8" along with the Varmint.

I have one of the older CZ-527 Carbines with the 1:12" twist. I've been chasing accuracy with it for years. I don't think it's all the rifle; I may have had a scope go bad. I put it down for a while after the last time I was trying to figure out the problems and getting 8" groups at 50 yards, then put the suppressor on and couldn't even find the holes on my backer. I'm going to bed it, and then put some 55gr match ammo through it under another scope. I imagine it will perform fine, I just haven't found a useful combo, yet.
55s can be iffy in 12tw my 22-250 will not shoot them. I use 50gr

My buddy just bought a RAR Predator in .223 and it shot sub MOA first time out. I really did not want to like these Ruger Americans as I usually recommend Savage Model 10's as my lowest budget rifle choice but Going 5 for 5 with the Rugers for sub MOA right out of the box has me recommending them now.

My buddy just bought a RAR Predator in .223 and it shot sub MOA first time out. I really did not want to like these Ruger Americans as I usually recommend Savage Model 10's as my lowest budget rifle choice but Going 5 for 5 with the Rugers for sub MOA right out of the box has me recommending them now.

Same here brother! Bad didn't want to like them but, now I own seven in various cartridges and models. Most are Predators and every one of them shoot sub-MOA. Even worse, I want seven more!:D

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.