Bolt action 223 options

7 twist will not help if the bbl is so short you get no velocity.
Ruger American comes in a few variations, in 223 Rem, all with a 1:8" twist. The 1:8" twist will stabilize even the 77gr HPBT SMKs and Bergers with no problem. I have shot both of those bullets from over a dozen 1:8" twist 223 Rems out to 880 yards with excellent accuracy and no signs of instability. I have even shot the 77gr SMKs from a couple of 1:9" twist Remington Mil-spec 5R 223s out to 880 yards, and they too were stable and very accurate.

Take a look at the Ruger American Ranch 223, if you want compact length with a threaded heavier barrel. Try a Predator if you want a full 22" threaded heavier barrel. I got the Ruger American Standard in a left-hand 223 Rem for my 6 year old granddaughter but, I don't see that one listed in the 2019 Ruger Catalog. It shoots sub-MOA with even the cheap American Eagle 55gr FMJ junk, it is shooting 5 round groups of the 77gr SMK Black Hills Match in less than 1/2 MOA at 100 yards and this is with Ruger's lightweight barrel on the Standard model.

I'm trying hard not to buy myself one in the Predator version. I already have a Remington 700 Mil-spec 5R in 223 that shoots 77gr Black Hills Match and FGMM in the .3s, a Browning A-Bolt Mico Hunter and a Compass that shoots everything that I've put though it sub-MOA. I really don't need another 223 but, I own seven Ruger American Centerfire rifles of various calibers/cartridges, and every single one of them shoot sub-MOA! I can't hardly stand not to have one in a 223 Rem, especially a Predator model! Can you say; "addicted"?!!! Guilty, as charged!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts