223 precision action, suggestions?

Defensive Edge Rifles re-barreled my Remington LTR 223 with a 1-9tw Hart and chambered it to 223Ack Imp. Had them install a HS Precision Det. Mag system as well. Not only does it feed great but it shoots amazingly well. This was the test target Shawn shot using a box of factory Hornady ammo. Gives you a pretty good idea how well these things can shoot when fireforming.

Attachments

• IMG_0052.jpg
    IMG_0052.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 52
Sell the barrel and buy a cz 527 Varmit ! I have 2 of them that with pet loads shoot 10 shot dime size groups out of the box stock!

It won't give you a lot of velocity increase, but the Ackley 40º case design is a more efficient case design, and will also keep you from having to trim brass as often, because the 40º shoulder is sharper, and doesn't allow the brass to flow as easily. So, there's lots of advantages to Ackley Improved cartridges, over their standard SAAMI counterparts...The increase in case capacity and velocity are just positive byproducts.

Understood. One question could I use a standard 223 neck sizing die on the Ackley case? I'm assuming so...???

For the AR, the best barrels for the money are the Rainier Arms barrels. They're made from Shilen blanks, and will run you under $300 for most of them. I have 2 of them on AR's (5.56 & .300 Blackout) and they shoot AMAZING!

I recommend a standard weight 16" barrel with a carbine-length gas system on it.

https://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-arms-mountain-series-cold-hammer-forged-barrel-5-56mm-nato

Definitely more affordable! I'll probably go this route on the AR.

Sell the barrel and buy a cz 527 Varmit ! I have 2 of them that with pet loads shoot 10 shot dime size groups out of the box stock!

Oh I agree they make outstanding rifles! I have a Cz 432 varmint in 17hmr that shot a 7 shot touching group at 100 yds. For 17 hmr that's one 1/4" hole.

But buying already built rifles takes the fun out of it

Nothing special. But I it fills the gap on for transitioning into a center fire for the boys. And it's fun/cheap to shoot for me. Its accurate as hell to boot.

Oh I agree they make outstanding rifles! I have a Cz 432 varmint in 17hmr that shot a 7 shot touching group at 100 yds. For 17 hmr that's one 1/4" hole.

But buying already built rifles takes the fun out of it
I have a 527 action sitting on the shelf but I just can't talk myself into spending more money and time waiting on a build that may not shoot any better than what I can get in 3 days online.lol

Understood. One question could I use a standard 223 neck sizing die on the Ackley case? I'm assuming so...???

Possibly...If you're going to use it for a bolt action rifle. Personally, I would NOT attempt to build an AI cartridge in any semi-auto platform. It depends on how much taper the SAAMI parent case has vs. the AI case. If it is a very heavy taper originally, and the AI only has about a .015-.025" taper, it might not fit. It's best just to go ahead and get the correct die set.

Redding Deluxe 3-Die Set 223 Remington Ackley Improved 40-Degree

Redding Shellholder #10 (17 Remington 204 Ruger 223 Remington)

Nothing special. But I it fills the gap on for transitioning into a center fire for the boys. And it's fun/cheap to shoot for me. Its accurate as hell to boot.

Very nice. That's pretty much what I have in mind. I built a 300 win mag rem 700 LRT and was torn between the AIC or a solid aluminum chassis by XLR Industries. Ended up with XLR. Very accurate setup but not as durable in the field as I would like.

Possibly...If you're going to use it for a bolt action rifle. Personally, I would NOT attempt to build an AI cartridge in any semi-auto platform. It depends on how much taper the SAAMI parent case has vs. the AI case. If it is a very heavy taper originally, and the AI only has about a .015-.025" taper, it might not fit. It's best just to go ahead and get the correct die set.

I agree. It's a small price to pay and make sure it is correct..

Possibly...If you're going to use it for a bolt action rifle. Personally, I would NOT attempt to build an AI cartridge or use neck-sizer dies in any semi-auto platform.

As for the dies, it depends on how much taper the SAAMI parent case has vs. the AI case. If it is a very heavy taper originally, and the AI only has about a .015-.025" taper, it might not fit. It's best just to go ahead and get the correct die set.

I should have edited this post so it would read this way instead of it all running together...

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.