22 creed 73gr Absolute hammers!

Yeah that 55 Win SP is an excellent one. Friend of mine went to Africa a while back on a cull shoot. They shot a ton load of plains game from oryxx on down. The PH used a 22/250 with Win 55 sp's. If I recall right he was on his 4th barrel.

I know plenty of people who yearly take down their elk supply for the year via similar loads.

Like I said before, killing isn't rocket science. Take our the lungs and they're going to Croak City Wyo real fast!

Designed or not designed... an 80gr Berger VLD at 3450fps+ is one of the most versatile and lethal things I've ever used on anything. Prior to seeing it for myself, I too was skeptical... but experience is experience. 22 Creed with that bullet is a ruthless killing machine.
It aint a Hammer

I've been using the 22/250 and the Swift for 43 years on deer, antelope, black bear and elk. Prior to this last year I've just used standard 14 twist barrels and 55-63 grain bullets.

I've mainly used standard cup n core bullets, found them to kill quicker than the preme bullets. We've a string of 30 one shot kills from 35 yards to 400 yards using the 60 Horn HP. Only two of them went anywhere the others went straight down! The two that went anywhere were a small whitey doe at 120 yards that took a 35 or so yard sprint and a muley buck at 35 yards that took a big hop and fell off a mountain.

This last year I had a 22/250 AI with 8 twist put together just so I can shoot the heavier bullets a bit.

The 22 CM is a wonderful round and incredibly capable as well as the other large 22's. The rigs are giant killers for sure!
I have been using Barnes 62 grain TTSX and 70 grain TXS in my Schneider barreled 1x7 twist 22-250 AI for feral hogs( all DRT) and one w10 pt whitetail buck (ran 50-60 yards) this last season with great results, no second shot required. Years ago I shot a total of 20 plus Hill Country Texas whitetails with 55 grain soft points out of my Remington 788 22-250 with 1x14 twist, had great results but the faster twist with heavier bullets that will hold up to the velocity is the way to go.

Lots of folks tend to think 22 Creeds aren't up to deer hunting. However, those same folks would not hesitate to shoot one with a 6.5 Creed. Yet a quick glance at a ballistic computer would show them that an 80gr berger from a 22 creed hits with 300ft/lbs MORE energy at 600yds than a 140 from a 6.5. Secondly, the 22 has a higher probability of actually transferring all of that energy to the animal than the 6.5 does.

Big 22 cals with fast twist and heavy bullets are quite possibly the most under rated combo's of all time. If I could only have one cartridge, it would be a 22 creedmoor.
The OP was

"22 creed 73gr Absolute hammers!"

Hammers are a different Kettle of Fish all together, I've said this a hundred times, Stop looking at energy as it is not a static number and concentrate on impact velocity, this is why the Hammers work so well, This is not an assumption, we have tons of field tests proving this point

Last edited:
Can't recall the last time I looked at energy numbers...probably middle school or so as it was important to me then. So was the relative brightness of scopes:)

A bullet has to have enough speed behind it to open it up each and every time

Can't recall the last time I looked at energy numbers...probably middle school or so as it was important to me then. So was the relative brightness of scopes:)

A bullet has to have enough speed behind it to open it up each and every time

Speed is part of the energy equation, and the energy doesn't need to be quantified with a number value. Like you are saying, if it has enough to speed/energy to open up and destroy vital tissue, it doesn't matter what the number value is. Enough is enough, and field experience will tell us how much that it. Hearing how much is enough from somebody else doesn't count nearly as much as our own hands-on experience, because seeing it for ourselves is believing.

The standard twist rate calculators don't apply well to solid bullets. That's why a lot of this doesn't make sense. I shot the 137 HH in a 7 twist 65SS at 6000 feet and nearly all the bullets tumbled.

I may try some of these in my 22 Creed. Good shooting!
twist rates and bullets will drive you nuts today. 300 Weatherby 220 grain bullets 1 in 10 twist problem solved.

Smokeless powder can't be transported by commercial airliners, and only small amounts may be trucked thru Canada. My understanding is all commercial transport of smokeless powder comes into the State by barge across the ocean.
I think it's Federal transportation laws that restrict transport on the airliners, and Canadian laws on trucking it thru Canada.
If we get powder to our door in Canada it has to come via courier. See no reason why a UPS truck can't drive through Canada…..

2.642" ten shot group at 1000 yds, 300 wsm 220 gr bullet 28-29 hundred fps. 100-10x, 1000 yrd, new NBRSA record, shot by a 83 years old man.. just for us old .30 cal shooters.

If we get powder to our door in Canada it has to come via courier. See no reason why a UPS truck can't drive through Canada…..
The difference is transporting it from the 48 States across Canada to Alaska, where I live. It has to be allowed in quantities to be economically feasible. I don't think Canada allows mass quantities of smokeless powder to be transported by truck. I know I'm limited to 16lbs maximum if driving through Canada to Alaska for my personal use.

I know smokeless powder is comercially delivered to Alaska by barge. Between transport regulations and the economic feasibility, only barges deliver smokeless powder to Alaska gun powder distributors.