22 creed 73gr Absolute hammers!

Dogz

Well I've heard of using .22 centerfire on deer, but usually as a rare occurrence. It appears you have really had the experience most .22 shooters lack, having done it again and again. Even though I've read about it, I have never tried it. Very interesting that you've done this not out of necessity, but out of preference. And fortunately, have lived in states where you're allowed to do it. One question: do you use mostly head shots? Or are shots to the heart/lung area sufficient?
Heart lungs high shoulder shots if ur asking me. Got 3 170in bucks on wall with 22 cals and lots more, speed kills! Shot the mule deer 450 yds 83gr hammer 22/6mm

222 and 223 Rem have been used VERY successfully by deer cullers in New Zealand in years gone by. 303 Brit was the Gov't provided firearm just after WW2 - full woods, ex- military and FMJ. After using 222 (found wanting at longer ranges), 223 was the replacement. Standard twists and light bullets were OK at shorter ranges but not good for ethical kills at further distances. Head/neck shots were the best medicine. Deer are pests according to our Dept of Conservation. Their prime methodology is air dropped 1080 poison. Go figure.

Few more 22 cal kills mostly hammers!

Attachments

• 8EB788B9-C6EC-4631-8419-91AD964B5F2D.jpeg
    8EB788B9-C6EC-4631-8419-91AD964B5F2D.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 225
  • 00A18F42-8E89-40B1-B900-5ACB40BF38F3.jpeg
    00A18F42-8E89-40B1-B900-5ACB40BF38F3.jpeg
    117.5 KB · Views: 233
  • A39DECEF-5993-4B16-A2F0-E151EA2D6417.jpeg
    A39DECEF-5993-4B16-A2F0-E151EA2D6417.jpeg
    84.9 KB · Views: 221
  • ACC78D34-68BE-4033-9C3B-27296CE6FFA0.jpeg
    ACC78D34-68BE-4033-9C3B-27296CE6FFA0.jpeg
    102.4 KB · Views: 214
  • 62149770-9C9B-4DAC-8734-1F8BDC6F50B3.jpeg
    62149770-9C9B-4DAC-8734-1F8BDC6F50B3.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 212
  • 8F71DD66-15B2-4D0A-8909-94F50C15185A.jpeg
    8F71DD66-15B2-4D0A-8909-94F50C15185A.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 211
  • 53661D36-D887-4587-9E02-FC07CEAB3D89.jpeg
    53661D36-D887-4587-9E02-FC07CEAB3D89.jpeg
    129 KB · Views: 212
  • 3AA69455-7F43-4D19-952A-D8EF45026582.jpeg
    3AA69455-7F43-4D19-952A-D8EF45026582.jpeg
    70.7 KB · Views: 213
  • 1A189217-7EB3-4F5E-9F9F-29187307B764.jpeg
    1A189217-7EB3-4F5E-9F9F-29187307B764.jpeg
    106.4 KB · Views: 230
Mainly posting so I can follow this thread. I hunted with a 224 TTH (22/6mm) 20 years ago using 75gr Swift Scirroco's. Killed 120+ deer with 55gr corelokt factory 22/250 in my youth (we had MLD tags). Really enjoying the 22 Creed now. Just waiting on another barrel as this one is too long and heavy to carry.

Dogz

Well I've heard of using .22 centerfire on deer, but usually as a rare occurrence. It appears you have really had the experience most .22 shooters lack, having done it again and again. Even though I've read about it, I have never tried it. Very interesting that you've done this not out of necessity, but out of preference. And fortunately, have lived in states where you're allowed to do it. One question: do you use mostly head shots? Or are shots to the heart/lung area sufficient?

Behind the front shoulder is where we put the bullet. Zero need to limit oneself to neck and or head shots!

The farthest we've taken small big game (deer, lopes, black bear) is 505 yards. One 60 Nozler Solid base behind the front and it took 2 steps and pitched over.

Far and away the big 22's are one of the most under rated killing machines that we have to use. I moved to Montana summer of 78, met a few guys who were using them back then. I took to using the same bullets that they mainly used (55 Horn w/c, 60 Horn sp and the 60 Horn HP, 63 Sierra SMP and the Nozler solid bases). Between those guys and my family and friends I can't even beging to guess how many head of big game from lopes to moose that we've taken.

This is a pretty sharp group of hunters, if these rounds weren't working then we wouldn't be using them.

Out to 500 yards on deer and lope's I see zero need for Premium bullets and or using the heavies.We've had such good success with the standard bullets that I mentioned that I just can't see how a heavier slug would do us any better. Now for steel between 500 and 1K absolutely they heavier slugs will out perform our standard bullets. But, we're mainly a bunch of hunters that love to get out there and get at it.

Not trying to be negative nellie here but it's always easy to spot those who've never actually used them, let alone seen 100's of head of game taken with the Big 22's. They'll be the ones throwing salt....grins

Killing is actually pretty darn easy and not in any the rocket science that most make it out to be.....:)

I have hunted most of my adult life with the Big 22's and if you said that's all I could ever use for anything that moves again I'd be just fine.

Designed or not designed... an 80gr Berger VLD at 3450fps+ is one of the most versatile and lethal things I've ever used on anything. Prior to seeing it for myself, I too was skeptical... but experience is experience. 22 Creed with that bullet is a ruthless killing machine.

Mainly posting so I can follow this thread. I hunted with a 224 TTH (22/6mm) 20 years ago using 75gr Swift Scirroco's. Killed 120+ deer with 55gr corelokt factory 22/250 in my youth (we had MLD tags). Really enjoying the 22 Creed now. Just waiting on another barrel as this one is too long and heavy to carry.
i have a couple 22/6mms also, 75 scirrocos good bullet, my wife killed a buck 562 yds few years back running it 3400 in a 8twist swift.

Dogz

only head shoot if thats only shot i have, shoulder, lungs, heart even shot a few right up the butthole,lol

Yes it does, and yes it is! :)

I load 338 Lapua Imp cartridge cases and get back here with 1.5 to 2.5lbs of salvage powder per trip. I have another idea that I may resort to. Fill up some 12ga shotshells with smokeless power and fly them back in checked baggage. Much bigger payload per shell.

The airlines restrict the numbers/weight of ammunition per ticket holder. Some limit it to 200 rounds of ammo. Some limit it to no more than 10lbs ammo.

But 200 12ga shells can hold a lot of smokeless powder...

why won't the state of Alaska let you have powder shipped to your door steps? Sounds ridiculous

Behind the front shoulder is where we put the bullet. Zero need to limit oneself to neck and or head shots!

The farthest we've taken small big game (deer, lopes, black bear) is 505 yards. One 60 Nozler Solid base behind the front and it took 2 steps and pitched over.

Far and away the big 22's are one of the most under rated killing machines that we have to use. I moved to Montana summer of 78, met a few guys who were using them back then. I took to using the same bullets that they mainly used (55 Horn w/c, 60 Horn sp and the 60 Horn HP, 63 Sierra SMP and the Nozler solid bases). Between those guys and my family and friends I can't even beging to guess how many head of big game from lopes to moose that we've taken.

This is a pretty sharp group of hunters, if these rounds weren't working then we wouldn't be using them.

Out to 500 yards on deer and lope's I see zero need for Premium bullets and or using the heavies.We've had such good success with the standard bullets that I mentioned that I just can't see how a heavier slug would do us any better. Now for steel between 500 and 1K absolutely they heavier slugs will out perform our standard bullets. But, we're mainly a bunch of hunters that love to get out there and get at it.

Not trying to be negative nellie here but it's always easy to spot those who've never actually used them, let alone seen 100's of head of game taken with the Big 22's. They'll be the ones throwing salt....grins

Killing is actually pretty darn easy and not in any the rocket science that most make it out to be.....:)

I have hunted most of my adult life with the Big 22's and if you said that's all I could ever use for anything that moves again I'd be just fine.

I fully agree that the fast 22 cartridges are vastly under-rated, and mostly by guys who haven't tried them. I don't have anywhere near the experience with them that you do, but all my experiences have all been positive. The 64-grain Winchester Power point and the 70-grain Speer have both been very good deer killers for me, in the standard 22-250. All heart/lung area shot placement at 75 to 150 yards on whitetail deer. Out of about a dozen animals, none ran after the shot - all went right down. I didn't find any bullets as they all exited the animals. Exit wounds were about the size of a nickel. I don't have any long range experience, but I'm not surprised to read that yours has all been good. I know guys in eastern Montana & North Dakota who shoot everything with the 220 Swift, and nobody has any complaints. They also don't get too fancy with bullet selection, using whatever they can find in factory loads.

I fully agree that the fast 22 cartridges are vastly under-rated, and mostly by guys who haven't tried them. I don't have anywhere near the experience with them that you do, but all my experiences have all been positive. The 64-grain Winchester Power point and the 70-grain Speer have both been very good deer killers for me, in the standard 22-250. All heart/lung area shot placement at 75 to 150 yards on whitetail deer. Out of about a dozen animals, none ran after the shot - all went right down. I didn't find any bullets as they all exited the animals. Exit wounds were about the size of a nickel. I don't have any long range experience, but I'm not surprised to read that yours has all been good. I know guys in eastern Montana & North Dakota who shoot everything with the 220 Swift, and nobody has any complaints. They also don't get too fancy with bullet selection, using whatever they can find in factory loads.
I've put alot of critters down with the Swift

Dogz

why won't the state of Alaska let you have powder shipped to your door steps? Sounds ridiculous
Smokeless powder can't be transported by commercial airliners, and only small amounts may be trucked thru Canada. My understanding is all commercial transport of smokeless powder comes into the State by barge across the ocean.
I think it's Federal transportation laws that restrict transport on the airliners, and Canadian laws on trucking it thru Canada.

Dogz

I also have been using a 22-250 to hunt deer for 38 years. It's my favorite gun to use. Out of all the different calibers I've to hunted deer with (and it's been many), I've never had them take a step after I shot them. I just aim behind the shoulder. I like for factory loads the Winchester 55 grain jacketed soft point. On the chest shot it puts a golf ball size hole out the other side and they drop where they are standing.