22-250 for deer

vssf i have never shot a group over an inch with it. with any load or bullet. i don't even use lapua brass or match primers. win brass and win primers. considering using it on coues in oct. the are dinky

You are correct it is a fragmenting bullet, but with such little energy there will be a point that a fragmenter becomes a penetrater. It will outperform a penetrater as the energy decreases.

I had my 22-250 through two barrels before I got into long range and upgraded to a 6X47. 1" isn't a good group in my opinion especially with the 22-250. The low BC bullets will be blown off course easily and shot placement is the key with such a little rifle. Nobody I know of uses one(22 cal) here for competing, but we compete some days with 30mph winds.

Here is what I came up with for the load I used:
Nosler 55gr. ballistic tip at 3450fps.
BC:.267 10mph cross wind zeroed at 300yds.
Wind drift and Energy

1" at 100 and 1152.6ft/lbs energy
3.86" at 200 and 907ft/lbs energy
9.17" at 300 and 707ft.lbs energy
17.31" at 400 and 542.8ft.lbs energy
22.62" at 450 and 472.7ft/lbs energy

Shot placement is the key!

Brent

Last edited:
I was gonna try my Model-70 223wssm (simmilar to a 22-250 A.I.) with factory Win 64gr psp's on Blacktail (they shot well). But sold/traded the rifle before I could take a deer with it. Also sold/traded it before I had a chance to fry the barrel testing loads.:D
Sometimes I wish I still had it, but I traded up for a Model-70, 300wby with less than 3 boxes thru it, so I cant complain.:rolleyes:
Curious what you come up with for a load. I may buy it back from the guy someday.

blipelt- my regular load for coyotes is 35.5 of benchmark and a 50 grain baltip at 3905. that load has never been bigger than .5 at 100. the .22 bullets low bc and wind do not do that well . i do think the 22-250 with the 60 partion will do fine on antelope size game. not my first choice. though

I used Remington factory loaded ammunition with the 55grn soft point last season to down a black tail. Fairly acurate in my Tikka T3 lite, groups hovered arround an inch, some better some worse(but not much). I used it because I KNOW(I'm comfortable with it) where the bullet will go when I squeese the trigger, where I was hunting there were no shot opportunities greater than 120 yards, and I didn't have a more suitable rifle to take. One shot squarely through both lungs and out the other side made him dead and you don't get more dead than dead. That said I did step it up to a 30-06 this year as I was forced to hold a shot earlier that morning on a magnificent fat necked buck due to a slight ammount of brush. Would the 22-250 have made it through the few twigs? Maybe, I think so but I think it is my responsibility to know before my finger touches a round off. The 06 would have no problems and that buck might be a bit bigger by fall.

Well, that's a lot of good info. I guess I'll get a box of 60gr partitions and see if they shoot....... I'm still sceptical but it's only a $30.00 mistake at worst.
But if they don't I can count on one of you guys to buy the rest off me right?
LOL. thanks for the input, all good stuff..............

blipelt- my regular load for coyotes is 35.5 of benchmark and a 50 grain baltip at 3905. that load has never been bigger than .5 at 100. the .22 bullets low bc and wind do not do that well . i do think the 22-250 with the 60 partion will do fine on antelope size game. not my first choice. though

Just noticed your name and location, I'm a Hillside AZ boy....
Would love to live in Flag. but couldn't make a living.

7mm -i killed my first deer in skull valley. 1968 . killed a lot of coyotes hillside yarnell and kirkaland . beautifull country. grew up in n phx/ born in wickenbug . shoveled a lot of snow this year. 3rd most on record. i forgot too. my son in law shot 63 sierras out of his vssf, less than an inch. i also have some hornady 60 soft points i have not tried out the 22-250. my bullet choice to try for the small deer would be the 60 parttion. followed by the 63 sierras and the 60 hornady equally. powders : first and second benchmark and h-380. next varget. pm me what works. roninflag

My first rifle was a Rem 700 VSF 22-250 1-14 twist and since it was all I had at the time I shot it in 500 yard matches using 60 bergers. Once I had found that they performed above my expectations I tried other heavier bullets. I have shot sub MOA groups consistently with 63 gr. Sierra SMP bullets. The 1-14 twist is capable of stabilizing the heavier bullets. Just because 1-14 is not the optimal twist for these bullets I don't think that should be taken as it's not possible to shoot them with this twist.

Has anyone tried the 45 grain TSX bullet. I picked them up because of the 14 twist in my Sub MOA. A little light yeah, but smokin' velocity and should stay together. I haven't shot any game with them yet.

The 22-250 is all that my Dad uses for whitetail due to some surgeries. Our experience with this gun has been to stay away from the 55grn Hornady SP, it would only put holes straight through the deer. What does work for sure is the 52/53 grain Sierra Match King using IMR 4320 (37 gr). Of course work up to this load, but out of our pair of 22-250's, deer drop like they were hit with a magnum, especially the neck shots.

I've shot several dozen Sitka Balcktail deer with 55gr Sierra Varmint spitzer bullets + 36gr IMR4064 = 3660fps.

I kept all of my shots within 150 yards and aimed dead center of the neck while they were facing me.

1/4" hole in 2" hole out and only thing holding the head onto the rest of the body was the hide there was nothing left inside.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.