22-250 AI ELDM 88gr

No problems here with .224 75 ELDM's at 3150 from a 7.7 twist.

From a 7 twist at 3150 bullets have RPM's bigger than 300,000. I don't know, but your 7-twist barrel was intended for much milder chambered rounds like .223 with 2750 fps velocities.

Screenshot (454).pngScreenshot (448).png

Stability problems might occur with slower speeds & cold temperatures with an 8- twist. My experiences with the 88's were disappointing compared with the 75's that were 150 fps faster & had equal form factors.

I think 7.5 twist is the solution for the heavies at high launch speeds.

That's exactly what I went with in my recent 22 Creed build. Just threw it together last week, so haven't had the chance to shoot it yet. I've been told 1:7.5 will handle even the 95 SMK, so keeping my fingers crossed.

My 22" 1:8 twist 22-250 AI shoots the 88 ELDMs very nicely at an easy 3150 with RL-23.

Dmagna, what twist is your 22creed? Hornady says need a 7:1 so that is what I built.
Hornady are wrong. I use these 88gr eldm's in my regular 223 Rem with a 28 inch 7 twist barrel. Not blowing apart and very well stabilsed at an average velocity of 2820 fps. I am in the process of building 1 ×22-250AI and 2 × 22 creedmore's which all 3 will run an 8 twist barrel which is more than enough ginen the fps achievable.
It isnt the bullets, you have the wrong twist rate in your barrel.

The only way I have seen it work is using 5r lands which is easier on the jackets incombination with a slight ¾ gain twist 8>7.25 or 7.75>7 etc to further easy the stress on the jacket allowing it to not blow up downrange from the heat of the higher rpms.

Longer barrels "seems" to worsen the effect. Not sure if it's the rpm with increased vel or the longer time/distance under the severe stress of the lands/bore engraving.

+1 to Tim_w ….. grooves matter. We were blowing up 88 s in a 3 groove 22 CM. Had an identical length barrel (27") in another 22CM with a 6 groove and didn't blow up one barrel!! Shooting exact same load out of same box of ammo. (Both rifles chambered by same reamer)

So velocity, twist, barrel length AND grooves all play into whether a particular bullet "survives"; at least in our experience.

Hornady are wrong. I use these 88gr eldm's in my regular 223 Rem with a 28 inch 7 twist barrel. Not blowing apart and very well stabilsed at an average velocity of 2820 fps. I am in the process of building 1 ×22-250AI and 2 × 22 creedmore's which all 3 will run an 8 twist barrel which is more than enough ginen the fps achievable.
It isnt the bullets, you have the wrong twist rate in your barrel.

I'm curious why you wouldn't just build 3 22 Creedmoors? The Creedmoor the 22-250 AI and it are ballistically so close with roughly 1/2 grain difference in water capacity.

Last edited: