215 alternative ?

cohunt

Im frustrated with berger availability!!!

So is there a reliable hunting lr/high bc ( probably cup/core construction) bullet that is equivalent to the berger 215 .308 hybrid?

I've been on several back order lists for the 215's for quite some time yet apparently wasn't high enough on the list to get any--- it could be a whole 'nother year before I get any.

Does anything else compare to the weight/mv/construction/bc/bearing length of the 215s?

Ablr? Eld-m? Anything other than another unicorn berger bullet?

I have been able to find the berger 208 LRHT's occasionally, so far after a small sample of 4 animals (3 pronghorn 1 mule deer) taken from 90ish yards out to 1020 yards, I can't tell the difference between it and the 215 Hybrid. And it loads very similar as well, would only take minimal load tweaking.

Last edited:
Can the 208's be found anywhere? If berger is only going to do 1 or 2 runs per year--- it gets pretty hard to find bullets --- I don't want to work up more loads and not be able to find bullets again.

Not sure. I have seen the 208's available about every other month pr so for the last 6 months or so. Just looked, didn't see any right now. They sell them in 250 packs, I bought a 250 pack to test out. I may get another one when they come available again, I like them so much.

For a replacement, if I couldn't find a Berger, for a similar bullet my next choice would be the 208 eld-m. They will have a longer bearing surface, but overall should be pretty close, and a little faster.

215s are just starting to be released. Berger said 2mil+ being made through the end of year. Keep your eyes peeled. There are plenty more coming out. A mere drop in the bucket are just hitting shelves.

Sorry, but Berger is only making 2 million +, of the 215s?…

That's a laughably small number.

Considering how few of them have been made in the last year or two

don't worry, I won't be buying any..😁 I've got hundreds of 225 Hornady hpbt's and Nosler 220 hpbt's on the shelf...
1B369EED-05C1-4F11-84F0-557887E2027A.jpeg

'sho nuff No Dakker
You No Dakkers make me laugh... :)

Let's do the math No Dakker....

Let's say they make 2,500,000 of the 215s

If people buy (500) of the 215s...only 5000 shooters get some (That's 100 shooters per State)

If people buy (1000) of the 215s...only 2500 shooters get some (That's 50 shooters per State)

How many of you guys would buy (1000), or more, of the 215s if you had a chance?

How many of the 215s does a competitive shooter send down the barrel each year?

Can someone chime in?

Let's do the math No Dakker....

Let's say they make 2,500,000 of the 215s

If people buy (500) of the 215s...only 5000 shooters get some (That's 100 shooters per State)

If people buy (1000) of the 215s...only 2500 shooters get some (That's 50 shooters per State)

How many of you guys would buy (1000), or more, of the 215s if you had a chance?

How many of the 215s does a competitive shooter send down the barrel each year?

Can someone chime in?
I saw one of our members just bought 2000 of them--- that is the problem right now- if berger is only going to do 1 or 2 runs for the public per year of a few million per run-- they have been so hard to get for a couple years that people are now buying as much as they can get-- can't blame a guy for being human

Can't blame people-- it's basic economy in a "free" society --- supply and demand. If I could afford it, I'd buy several thousand so I know I wouldn't have to look again for a while. Some guys shoot more than others, and some prefer to capitalize on the supply/demand issue we have right now.

I can't afford to buy more than about 500 -- so if I can't find them soon- I'm going to need to find a different option

I'm not mad or bitter at anyone else--- I'm just bummed that due to my job I'm not able to be by a computer on weekdays in order to jump on a web page and buy as soon as they hit the shelves.

Last edited:
Ever since 2012, I've always kept a large supply of what I use/need on hand.

For the last 2 years, that has been pretty hard. But if I see what I NEED I buy it...not GunBroker prices, but yes, I've bought some CCI 450's for $120/1000 shipped.
Trading with other shooters has worked well also...

As for 215 alternatives, bottom line is this...try what is, as has been, readily available recently.
There have been some other (lighter) Berger 308 bullets around.
But the Hornady offerings shoot very well for me also.

One of the biggest problems we have now, is that shipping has become so expensive, that it's not very feasible for us to sell/ship 100 packs of bullets to each other.