215 alternative ?

Let's do the math No Dakker....

Let's say they make 2,500,000 of the 215s

If people buy (500) of the 215s...only 5000 shooters get some (That's 100 shooters per State)

If people buy (1000) of the 215s...only 2500 shooters get some (That's 50 shooters per State)

How many of you guys would buy (1000), or more, of the 215s if you had a chance?

How many of the 215s does a competitive shooter send down the barrel each year?

Can someone chime in?
Trickle them out and charge more. Apparently, that's Capstone's business model. Oh, and the military contracts come first.

The 2mil+ run of 215's, very few will see the open market comparatively speaking. Most are going to fill military contracts.

Well- I just checked my pm's and found a very generous offer from another member for a couple hundred 215s that will get me through.

I wont post his name as I don't want him to get inundated with pms.

I'm glad this is a fairly tight knit group of guys that can help each other out.

Thanks again guys.

I will keep my back orders open and if I receive any extra of them I will "pay it forward" to someone else in need

Last edited:
Im frustrated with berger availability!!!

So is there a reliable hunting lr/high bc ( probably cup/core construction) bullet that is equivalent to the berger 215 .308 hybrid?

I've been on several back order lists for the 215's for quite some time yet apparently wasn't high enough on the list to get any--- it could be a whole 'nother year before I get any.

Does anything else compare to the weight/mv/construction/bc/bearing length of the 215s?

Ablr? Eld-m? Anything other than another unicorn berger bullet?
The 208 and 225 hornady eld m bullets. Might not be the best to punch big
Shoulders as there's no delay with the explosion unlike the berger on account of the plastic tip. But I like the 225 in my .300 winny at 2760 or so. Stupid accurate and very effective, you'll certainly mever see one behave like an fmj which is a concern with some bthp type bullets.

Midway and Midsouth both had them in stock yesterday. Got an email alert from both and bought a 250ct box from Midway.
I saw all the people that had them in stock to late in the day due to me driving a company vehicle ( no cell phones allowed/not even hands free allowed by my company in any company vehicle)

I tried to order on line and even called several places when I had a break and everything was already gone-- i was told that all was sold out in 15 min or less ( depending on the company I called) I'm surprised no web pages crashed

But as I posted above-- I got pmed by a member and got some comming - thanks again guys

Keep posting other options though so if someone else can't get any-- they have ideas on what else is a close comparison and readily available

One thing the shortages have taught me... is that there are a bunch of viable alternatives to most everything we use. It's no longer....MY GO TO LOAD...and nothing else will change my mind....I've had to try new...just about everything as the supply changes and have been impressed by some of results. So to the OP....208/ 212 Hornady works just fine!

So is there a reliable hunting lr/high bc ( probably cup/core construction) bullet that is equivalent to the berger 215 .308 hybrid?

I've been on several back order lists for the 215's for quite some time yet apparently wasn't high enough on the list to get any--- it could be a whole 'nother year before I get any.

Does anything else compare to the weight/mv/construction/bc/bearing length of the 215s?

My knowledge is limited but would this be the same bullet as Berger 215gr 300 Norma mag uses? That's what I use and it's an incredible bullet. I've never quite understood the difference between 308 and all the different 300s in terms of the bullet. Those are the only two long gun cartridges I focus on, 308@168gr and 300@215gr Norma mag.

My knowledge is limited but would this be the same bullet as Berger 215gr 300 Norma mag uses? That's what I use and it's an incredible bullet. I've never quite understood the difference between 308 and all the different 300s in terms of the bullet. Those are the only two long gun cartridges I focus on, 308@168gr and 300@215gr Norma mag.
correct

This post seems strange for someone who shoots--- your 300 norma is a .308 bullet- just like your .308 win .

Hopefully this thread doesn't now go down a hole as others have lately 😬

Not sure because i haven't tried to purchase any for years as I believe I've got enough to supply my grandkids who aren't born yet. If is cup and core your looking for, Sierras have have always been a go to if they're available. I've never shot a ton of Hornadys but another good option depending on availability. The question that needs to be ask, if there's a demand, why are they producing them at higher quantities?

205 Berger kills elk
225 ELDm kills elk
Haven't tried the 208's but would.

Midway and MidSouth yesterday sold out in minutes. I grabbed 200ct .

Other stores should pop up with 215"s each day in the the week or so. Just waiting on truck delivery. Keep your eyes peeled

Im honestly so frustrated with Berger trickling out bullets once or twice a year, while jacking their rates up that I'm about done with them.
I have a pile of 180 7mm vlds that I'll continue to shoot, but in 30 cal I'm staying with eldms, they're cheaper, accurate as hell, Flippin available, and kill lightning fast.