210 Barnes in 338WM for elk?

I haven't used it on elk but I have used it on a black bear it did very well... not a very good comparison but the trees I have drilled holes lead me to believe it would do pretty well on elk within reasonable distance.

Me and my hunting buddy both used the 210 TTSX out of our 338's to kill our bulls last year. Mine at 630 yards that traveled diagonally through a very large bodied herd bull. Bullet landed hard on the front shoulder, traveled through both lungs and severed the pulmonary artery just above the heart, and exited diagonally further back out the ribs.

My buddy shot his satellite bull from 430 yards. His first shot was with the bull facing him slightly quartered and the bullet entered the front chest, hit the heart/lungs, and exited out the rear ribcage. the bull turned and was moving away from him and the 2nd shot (although unnecessary in hind-sight) entered the rear back and traveled all the way through the body and stopped under the hide in the low/front chest.

We had several reasons for using the 210's over other bullets, but in the end they simply shot more accurately out of our guns than anything else we tried. In the end we had two elk down and those 210 TTSX's sure did the trick. I would not hesitate to use them again. I think they are fantastic bullets for up close, and their accuracy makes them great out to medium distances. At longer range they leave a few things to be desired that other bullets might do better.

I used the 210 XLC's for a couple years and hammered a couple of bulls and a couple of cows including finishing off a cow that my brother hit at 550 yards, broke both shoulders, drt recovered the bullet in the off shoulder with 3 pedals intact. This was from my 338 rum, but same difference, just a little faster.

since my last post I have had the chance to kill a few more animals with my 338 win. I have been using the 225 ttsx and killed an elk at 425 and one at 880 and both bullets went through lots of bone and exited so I would venture to guess the 210 will be just fine just not quite as much penetration. but most of the time itll probably sail right on through.

Opinion, I think the 210 Nosler Partition was kind of a standard in the .338 Winchester. The Barnes should be fine. Especially with it expanding this well for these guys.

since my last post I have had the chance to kill a few more animals with my 338 win. I have been using the 225 ttsx and killed an elk at 425 and one at 880 and both bullets went through lots of bone and exited so I would venture to guess the 210 will be just fine just not quite as much penetration. but most of the time itll probably sail right on through.

What kind of velocity are you getting with these mike? I have some loaded for my 338 rum @ 3200 max load. They build more pressure than my 225 Accubonds that I can run at 3300. I haven't killed anything with the ttsx yet. What are you using for b.c. on these?

I am running Barnes TTSX 210 out of my 340 weatherby. They are my most Acurat load. I have killed sevral elk with them, best results if you hit heavy bone. This years bull was slight quarted away at 593 yards, aimed for the exit to be thruogh the of side shoulder. DRT. I have had bad results, had to chase animals when bone was not hit.

Just shot several hand loads through my m77 338. The best I could do was a 1/2 inch group at 100. I was loading 71 gn of ramshot hunter and fed 215m primers, I was getting 3084 fps. And no preasure issues. This was with the 210 TTSX.

Have not been able to shoot them over 100yds yet.

Having shot several more of my same load it appears that my chrono might be off by a tad. Yesterday I was getting real w world numbers, 2760 fps with the 201ttsx and 71 gn of hunter.

I would double check your chrono again. You should be able to get very close to 3000 fps with a 210, so your 3084 velocity might be better than you think. When in doubt, use drops to get your actual velocity, that is if you have a known bc to use.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.