7mm-08 and 120 Barnes TTSX for elk

120 HH at 3050fps dumps tuff TX boars at 300yds. I've never seen hogs die faster at distance. There is something about the .284 120HH even within the Hammer line that makes it a champ. I can only imagine it will dump an elk no problem. 120TTSX wouldn't bounce off either!

Must be a sweet spot between projectile toughness, sectional density, and impact velocity meeting sufficient target resistance on the intended game animal. There are indeed "sweet spots" I think.

Reading up on Nathan Foster (who may well have killed more critters than anyone on here…maybe :) ) that's one thing that emerges…an overly tough heavy bullet meeting too little resistance doesn't have the smackdown effect, neither does an overly frangible lightweight meeting too much.

Sectional density for monos and bonded types really does matter I've come to beleive…and most folks are after too much of a good thing. Even assuming identical construction and expansion velocities, there's a point at which the momentum of a high sd projectile means it doesn't seem to affect as broad of wounding and just plows on through, less "shock" - I don't wanna say the h-word (hydraulic, hydrostatic, hydrodynamic super duper lightning pants, etc….) but it does seem in my very limited experience that there's more of a "crush" or pressure induced damage type permanent wound cavity on tough but lower SD bullets that actually meet a ton of target resistance to slow them down.

A 7mm 120 mono does sound like it'd be pretty versatile.

I used a 140 etip out of a 22.5" 7mm08 to kill my first elk (a cow) at 370 yards several years ago. Muzzle velocity was around 2,770 or 2,780. That bullet sailed through her, double lung shot, she went less than 50 yards and tipped over and rolled down the hill.
I'd say a 120TTSX at 3,000 or north of there would be more than adequate, if you can shoot it accurately!

Don't count out the little 120gr Nosler ballistic tip! It's a bad little bullet. It's not built like a typical BT. It has a thicker jacket, exclusive to only the 120gr 7mm. It blows through both sides of a deer, so it shouldn't have a problem with elk. Oh, and get you some Ramshot big game or Varget.

+Remington rifles

130g Speer btsp and 130g Speer hot core
Rem brass
Rem 9 1/2
42.0g of IMR 4895
3000 fps
Tiny groups after you play with the seating depth a little.

White tails, I use the 130g BTSP, brother, this load and bullet will make a "true believer" out of you on knocking the feet out from under a deer, near and far!

The hot core is tougher than you would ever imagine

A friend of mine uses 120gr Sierra SPT (#1900) in his 7-08 for decades out to 400 yards on elk with imr4064. I thought it was crazy with such a small low velocity bullet. I'm not sure the barrel length, but it might be a 14.5-16.5"? Factory gun from the early '70s I believe? I don't think it was 18.5"?

Why on earth not? That's a elk killing bullet

Wouldn't want to have the bullet disintegrate if hit in the shoulder bone. I had heavier bullets like Hornady 180 Interlock shot out of 30-06 disintegrate on heavy animal such as elk, it was instant kill due to the neck shot and I recovered the cup only, but have I hit the shoulder I probably would have lost the animal.