7mm-08 and 120 Barnes TTSX for elk

Looked at my load for the 120 ttsx and I was running 3260 average outa a 26 inch barrel. The 140 will run 3060 . The ttsx in each weight is used for elk here in Arizona by many youth hunters and the 120 seems to be the go to round .
That is moving! I have a 708AI 26" coming someday for a range gun. Plan on 162 ELDMs for steel plates, but a 120HH or TTSX would be fun for hitting hogs off the feeders at those velocities!

I have always used 30-06, 7mm RM and 300 WM for elk, but this year due to shoulder injury I was contemplating using 7mm-08 with 120 Barnes TTSX, what other bullet would would you guys advise if not 120 TTSX, I also have 150 NP, 145 Hot Cor and Hornady 154 SP. Thanks
I have done both hunting big game and competed in long range steel shilouette matches with a Rem700 Classic in 7-08 which I had my gunsmith perform a complete action tune up. In the shilouette matches we shot steel chickens 200m, turkeys300m, javelina 400m and rams 500m. This rifle has served me well in my pursuit of antelope, wild boars, deer, and elk. As well as varmints and prairie dogs. For elk my bullet was the Barnes 140 TTSX, 42 grs IMR4064, COAL 2.025", mz 2800fps. 150yd Zero. This combination has successfully taken numerous big game. Several elk I have harvested averaged 350-600yds. My last was at 470 yds up a steep Mtn side 21*, 20mph left to right wind. My dial up was: up 8moa, left wind 3.75 MOA. Point of aim was behind the shoulder 1/3rd down from the spine. Point of impact: bullet strike in front of shoulder impacting the neck vertebrae and the windpipe. Instant dead right there. It started snowing so I quartered it in place and hung the qtrs. Removed the back straps and tenderloins along with the lungs/heart. Took 3 hours to get back to my truck. The 7-08 with a good bullet placed effectively does the job. Good Luck. SEMPER FIDELIS old Vietnam Veteran!

Yep, 7mm-08 will kill an elk, ...so will a 44-40, a 30-30, a 222, an a 22LR, a bow, and probably a sharp speer, have all been employed for the task.
I used a 7 mag for years, it killed elk but none collapsed on the spot, all inside 100 yds. The worst was the smallest bull shot him 3 times in the chest on the run ..I ran down to see if he died ...he was standing there in the brush, staring at me head on at 40 yds blood streaming out of both nostrils...the magnum was empty ...dropped a round in the chamber put another Nosler partition through his chest on the run ...he ran over the hill out of sight...down into the next canyon, and died. It killed the elk. But I sold the 7mm mag for a 338 mag, it did better for me as far a more instant killing goes... it made much larger exit wounds.
I hunted elk alone in full camo, no orange, go in the pole thickets of Desolation where they bed down, dog them for as long as it takes, to kill them. Jump them at 15 yds and cannot see them...you can hear them. Go sit in his bed wait motionless 15 min ...go after him again, and repeat. He will make a mistake and gives you a visual second the gun hits the shoulder and is fired immediately running, leaping, or standing....2X scope heavy duplex 338 mag, just a personal favorite, and the shorter 350 Rem Mag all with heavy bullets or the old 7mm mag I got rid of...killed elk. But I just like a huge circle of blood, bone, and tissue in the snow...and I ain't gonna be shootin long range, with this style of hunting, also while you're hunting him, he's looking for you, and will curl back up and watch his trail, to see if your following him. Watch for it and shoot him in the head if he's poking his brown nose out of the green brush...it aint trophy hunting, and I wouldn't pay for mounting a elk head, so blow half the 6 points head off...and begin to pack out your meat. Killing up close is different and personal, it's not just any elk it's this one, and he knows it, his life depends on shaking the hunter off his trail, or out distancing him...I didn't let him do either. A satisfying hunt, but rather than pack out the meat I just as soon wind him up and let him run again, and I'll head for a warm shelter back in civilization, thank him for his time, and have a nice tasty beef steak.

I have always used 30-06, 7mm RM and 300 WM for elk, but this year due to shoulder injury I was contemplating using 7mm-08 with 120 Barnes TTSX, what other bullet would would you guys advise if not 120 TTSX, I also have 150 NP, 145 Hot Cor and Hornady 154 SP. Thanks
A friend of mine killed a nice bull with a 120 TSX, and I killed my first elk, a big cow, with a 120 Nosler Ballistic Tip from a 7-08.

I wouldn't hesitate to hunt elk with a 120 TTSX from a 7-08 and might this fall.

I'm not sure why you have had several people tell you to avoid the shoulder with the 120 TTSX. Speaking from experience they will shatter the shoulder coming or going. Femurs too.

A 120 TTSX will weight about 120 grains after breaking the shoulder. A 160 Nosler Partion, which is one of the best penetrating and bone smashing bullets available, will typically weigh around 100 grains after breaking the shoulder.

It's the post expansion sectional density that determines penetration.

Good luck.

Attachments

• 120 - 235.jpeg
    120 - 235.jpeg
    309.2 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Pard and I killed 7 with the 7x57 with 140g Sierra pro hunters years ago. I never shoot at elk shoulders, but the 175g Sierra btsp will shoot holes though both elk shoulders, I have seen it done.

the 7-08 is an effective caliber. For elk the key is bullet placement. Elk are heavy boned animals. However, hitting any antelope, deer, elk or a hog with the bullet impacting bone can and will result in a wounded animal. Based on my experience hunting elk in western states the terrain is the main factor that dictates where the elk you hunt live. The conditions can be wide open long shots to steep wooded forest and close shots. In any case a heavy for caliber bullet behind the shoulder works every time. I prefer 140 Barnes TTSX. Good luck