165 gr Barnes TTSX For Elk

Living here on the left coast we are mandated to shoot lead free in certain areas. During the last few years I have killed 7 deer and 1 elk with the ttsx/tsx 180's, all were DRT. They weren't all perfect shots either.
With Jeff's results I might try those berger 215's in my 300 for out of state hunting instead of the barnes next year.

I would use the 165 grain Barnes if I were you.
I have killed 31 elk with my .280, and all have been shot with the 140 gr. Barnes x bullet. Now the longest shot has been about 330 yards, so I can't say how they would work at 400 yards.
I have not had a problem with elk going a long distance and have never lost an elk with the Barnes bullet. The three elk I've killed this year ran 10 yards, 45 yards, and about 30 yards.
Good luck.

Dont worry about 165's not being enough bullet this is my daughter this year with 130gr TTSX in her tikka 300WSM . She made a perfect shot at 300 yards and he never took a step. Elk arnt mythical creatures and dont need monster bullets.

Attachments

• 035.jpg
    035.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 385
I used the 168 TSX for years out of my 300 WBY and a buddy uses the 165 from a 30-06 and a good percentage of the time they are a great deal but we've gotten to shoot elk on pivots the last few years where you can actually see the percentage of animal wounded that in the mountains would have never been found or thought to be hit and none of us use these bullets anymore. We've all gone heavy for caliber and it's been smooth sailing since.

We only shoot barnes in my house. My wife has a 7-08, son a 243, and me a 300 win mag. It is all about placement. My wife shot a bull this year in the shoulder with a 140 grain. My son dropped a 6x6 with a .243. 85 grain. Her's dropped in the tracks with a shot right in the shoulder. He shot his twice. Both in the lungs. First shot it didn't run, hunched up and the second put on ground. The 85 is probably borderline, but shot placement has more to do with it than anything. His were both pass through breaking ribs both times. Here bullet I recovered as it went through the shoulder, and out the other side. Stuck in the hide.

I shoot 180 barnes. Not shot a bull yet, but dropped three cow elk in 4 years. All were within 40 yards of shot. On her bullet they do exactly what they say they do. Very little loss of mass and just peeled back. Went through shoulder, broke rib on other side and stuck in hide.

I have attached a picture of bullet with unfired cartridge. I attribute the lopsided look to the fact that the animal was quartering.

Attachments

• bullet.jpg
    bullet.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 234
Dont worry about 165's not being enough bullet this is my daughter this year with 130gr TTSX in her tikka 300WSM . She made a perfect shot at 300 yards and he never took a step. Elk arnt mythical creatures and dont need monster bullets.

Great pic and a great bull. I'm hoping to take my daughter in 2013 for elk. She'll be toting a Tikka also but in 7 Rem Mag. I'd love to be taking a similar pic myself. Congrats to you and your daughter. She done good. There is no better place on earth than the mountains to spend time with your kids.

Here's my daughters cow taken this past Monday in her 7-08 using 120gr. TTSX load. Cow was 110 yards, doubled lunger her and she walked 40+- yards and went down. 165's should do just fine with a correctly placed shot.

Attachments

• Joy & Dads Elk 010.jpg
    Joy & Dads Elk 010.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 247
Here's my daughters cow taken this past Monday in her 7-08 using 120gr. TTSX load. Cow was 110 yards, doubled lunger her and she walked 40+- yards and went down. 165's should do just fine with a correctly placed shot.

Very nice carpetman. My wife uses the same rifle but uses 140 grains. The cow elk seems really dark. Where was this shot?

Very nice carpetman. My wife uses the same rifle but uses 140 grains. The cow elk seems really dark. Where was this shot?

Not trying to be a smart guy but the darker the head on a cow elk the younger her age generally. Not only is that kid a great shot but it appears that she can pick a young dry cow!

Not trying to be a smart guy but the darker the head on a cow elk the younger her age generally. Not only is that kid a great shot but it appears that she can pick a young dry cow!

Thanks Rooster. Didn't take it as being smart. I have only been hunting elk for 4 years. Have a lot to learn. I am an old whitetail hunter from Ohio that moved west. So much to learn but I love it and forums like this to learn things.

Carpetman2, congrats on your daughters cow elk, and please pass that along to her. I see that smile on her face, and you must have been proud when she pulled the trigger. There is NO feeling like hunting with your children, most especially when THEY connect.
During this past deer season, my son and I, ( he is 19 ), were in the same blind. Two deer appeared @ 292 yards. I turned around, and aligned my rifle on one of them, he was on the other. I did the 1, 2, 3, count and we BOTH fired on 3 . Both deer, DRT. I was, and am proud of that moment, as we both will never forget it. My only regrets are that I didn't take enough pix, but the memories are in my mind forever, as they are in his too.
That moment when your daughter shot that elk, will be with you forever.
BTW, both him and I were using Barnes bullets. He was using the TSX, and am using a 145 LRX in my 7stw. Incredible accuracy, and nothing will walk away after that bullet pays a visit.
Enjoy the memories, and the Barnes, I do!!!!

7stw, thanks for your words and story. I agree. I didn't want to hijack the thread, but I do like the barns too, and I do have a blast with my kids...grown and still in the home. We are a hunting family as many on this board are, and I very much cherish the times and the memories with my family. The Lord has really been good to me. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.