.204 Ruger for Coyotes, what is your opinion?

with a 22-250 and 50 grain V-max bullets and also 52 grain speer hollow points I have had some messes on the inbound side, but every time it was the angle of the body. Bullets went along the side because the body was not perpendicular enough to allow easy entry. More of a skimming/creasing shot. As soon as my rings get here in the mail, I will be getting that .204 CZ ready with 39 grain SBK.....loaded up a few last night so I am ready to see what "she" likes.

The only time I had what you would call a splash was during a snow storm at 8500 feet and in the teens for a temp. I had a coyote standing broad side at 50 yards . I was using a 17 Remington with factory loads running 4200 fps mv average . I pulled the trigger the coyote started screaming and spinning . I shot it again and it dropped . When I got over to it I found a spot that was an inch long and 1/2 inch wide where the first shot had been placed that had no fur looking like it had been burned but no penetration . The second shot had done it's job and had gone in on the other side rib cage . I always thought that the bullet was traveling broad side when it hit and blew up , maybe due to deflecting off of a snow flake because of it's lite weight and speed in higher thinner air with low temps. .
As you know when hunting or shooting we encounter variables that leave even those well seasoned wondering in bewilderment.

with a 22-250 and 50 grain V-max bullets and also 52 grain speer hollow points I have had some messes on the inbound side, but every time it was the angle of the body. Bullets went along the side because the body was not perpendicular enough to allow easy entry. More of a skimming/creasing shot. As soon as my rings get here in the mail, I will be getting that .204 CZ ready with 39 grain SBK.....loaded up a few last night so I am ready to see what "she" likes.
I don't reload ,however that load in HSM factory is awesome,3857 fps,high BC of 0.287 and plenty of ft pounds 410 even at 500 to drop a coyote IF one can make the shot. You handloading can probably work up a better round yet. Let us know.Bullet drop about 27 inches.

Here are a few photos of where the bullet blew up (splash) on the surface. Photo where the damage is from "top to bottom", that was at 20-25 yards.
65878900-DAA8-47C4-98BB-540EE9557E11.jpeg
90903260-1B1F-4AB5-BF9E-D530B6C2BB98.jpeg
C983CF8E-55D8-4062-B41F-5A52063097E6.jpeg
F5E83119-CE80-49C5-8C73-2E487BFF60A9.jpeg

They were all standing broadside, straight in. These are just a few failed bullet attempts, four different bullets. All entrance wounds.

39 SMK was a good load for me, good accuracy etc and I had high hopes for it, but like I said, didn't work out in my case. I remember the last coyote I shot with one, was a "spinner" and took a couple extra bullets to kill it. No Bueno

Hey Dyno! I'm going to get busy on those loads today, got some brass prep work to do, a lot of busy work. Hopefully, in a couple days, I'll get to try them out.

Cheers! Gary

They were all standing broadside, straight in. These are just a few failed bullet attempts, four different bullets. All entrance wounds.

39 SMK was a good load for me, good accuracy etc and I had high hopes for it, but like I said, didn't work out in my case. I remember the last coyote I shot with one, was a "spinner" and took a couple extra bullets to kill it. No Bueno

Hey Dyno! I'm going to get busy on those loads today, got some brass prep work to do, a lot of busy work. Hopefully, in a couple days, I'll get to try them out.

Cheers! Gary
Them yotes look pretty dead,lots of destruction.

I'm not picking them up you pick em up . They aren't Charmin clean like the bears are .

bet you've seen a lot like that at times, Dsheetz? Our government guy here has been using a 6.5 CM with factory loads on coyotes, exits always, only time I had one that didn't the coyote was 50 yards away running straight at me, shot it in the chest, 140 ELDM bullet, (2800 fps 26" barrel) stayed inside............coyote never even twitched........looking forward to this 204 though, having the ability to see bullet impact and being able to off set some gas money and promote the hobby....and figure out and play with a new rig....put a 4x12-40mm Tactical Vortex on it, only weighs 16 oz........
Been a 22-250 guy the whole time here in Mondamtana when I wanted to keep the hides...just love to shoot coyotes

bet you've seen a lot like that at times, Dsheetz? Our government guy here has been using a 6.5 CM with factory loads on coyotes, exits always, only time I had one that didn't the coyote was 50 yards away running straight at me, shot it in the chest, 140 ELDM bullet, (2800 fps 26" barrel) stayed inside............coyote never even twitched........looking forward to this 204 though, having the ability to see bullet impact and being able to off set some gas money and promote the hobby....and figure out and play with a new rig....put a 4x12-40mm Tactical Vortex on it, only weighs 16 oz........
Been a 22-250 guy the whole time here in Mondamtana when I wanted to keep the hides...just love to shoot coyotes
Let us know how the 204 works for you,works well for me a fact.You'll probably have longer shots,mine average 100 to 300,farthest 1/4 mile .

I have seen it a lot I never liked the head shots with the Winchester white box 40 gr hp22-250's . Not a real fan of hitting them too far back behind the ribs either , with any thing . I loaded my 223 with 55gr sierra bthp's running at around 2900 fps mv . Mush inside and not much exit sometimes some copper fragments . But I've seen them shot with a lot of different calibers and bullet designs one guy used a 7mm rem mag on broad side rib shots it had a 7mm entrance hole and around a half dollar size exit . It's an addiction for sure . I've had some pretty bad mess's myself . But do the best I can not to.

Recent Posts