204 ruger 1 bullet for all your hunting .

What do you think of the 30 gr Berger hp out of the 204 ? Would they do the job? I have few boxes . Loaded few different powder type to try grouping . Have been shooting 35 gr Berger. I did try the 40 gr Berger also. I like them too.
I don't see why not,the 24 grain Hornady flattens them ,why not the Berger 30 handloaded, can probably get some real velocity specs. I wouldn't hesitate a 300 yard shot with any diminutive 24 or 30 grain 204.

Thanks here in Arkansas. The shots most of the time 200 yds or less. But when I hunt in the bottoms u can shoot farther than I want too. But this weekend is firearm deer season opener. So I wont be calling for a while. Plus trapping season opens Saturday also. Time to get some steel in the ground. And hang some snares also.

Thanks here in Arkansas. The shots most of the time 200 yds or less. But when I hunt in the bottoms u can shoot farther than I want too. But this weekend is firearm deer season opener. So I wont be calling for a while. Plus trapping season opens Saturday also. Time to get some steel in the ground. And hang some snares also.
Similar to Ohio,I probably won't use anything for now other than the 24 grain, however I'm well stocked on Blitz King,Vmax and Berger loadings all factory HSM,32,39,40,32,35 ,grains velocities from 3581,low to 4045 high many in-between.

Anyone have any experience with the 31gr hammers? Thinking of trying it in a 20 Prac, for a fur bullet.

When I use my 204, it's for coyotes. I save the fur on my coyotes and make good money off them. I shoot 80-100 a year. I shoot the 32gr Vmax and it kills very well and is very easy on fur. I won't be switching.

experimenting with the 24 grain NTX from Hornady (just for the heck of it) finally found some bullets on the shelf in Missoula. Only thing I would use it on is 1st shot when calling on a coyote, or a fox bullet....literature I have found has 26 grains Reloader 10X max and 29.5 grains AA2230 max...(4400 fps in 26" barrel)....the reloader 10X is just under an inch at 100 yards (not except able) the AA2230 was sub 1/2" and it hits paper a 1/4" higher than my standard load 29.5 grains AA2520 with 39 grain SBK (3850-3900 fps in 26 " barrel) perfect. One thing I will tell you, shooting the plates at 300 yards, the 39 grain SBK is definitely louder smack than the 24 grain NTX, very easy to discern the sound difference...................have not put one into a varmint yet, but will see how they do when that happens.......other wise I an very content with the 39 grain SBK, just like to experiment a little. I would imagine the 24 NTX would explode a gopher or pigeon.
I tell you one thing, this is the funnest d-m cartridge I have ever reloaded, accurate as heck, pleasant to shoot and knocks the crap out of a coyote a long ways out, 401 yards so far but I will get one farther in the near future.

Last edited:
Eric2381 that is a pile of coyotes in a year (80-100) your right up there with that Why-dam-o-Ming legend Davy-the kid-D-Sheetz, nice work you both are in rare company. I would say you have lots of experience with that 32 grain bullet. All I know is as long as I stay away from the scapula bone the 39 gets right inside and comes unglued. Center of the chest on a frontal or behind the leg or even in the guts it yanks the life out of them coyotes. Ka-pow and they are flattened 👍😳😳😮😮😁 keep the opinions and experiences coming 🤝
Tell us a little about your hunting technique Eric, are you a caller,spot and stalk or what?

Last edited:
I'm lucky to live overlooking a river valley and always have a bait going to shoot them off of. Plus I call some. Plus I snare a bunch. Plus a bunch are shot as a guy is going around the country side. Won't be that many this year, work is too busy. The kids have shot a few off the bait at home though.
76BC6FA1-E034-48BC-8968-0BAD4ED34895.jpeg

I shoot lots with my 220 swift as well. 40gr Vmax at 4370fps. I think being fur friendly has a lot to do with bullet length. Fragile bullet, short bullet length, and good shot placement. And enough velocity to make sure the bullet comes apart quickly. If you shoot them high in the spine, blow out. In the shoulder, blow out. Low on the brisket, could blow a chick of that out. Running away, hit the hip bones and expect a good hole. Frontal on or broadside in the ribs is the shot you want for saving fur. IMO

Eric, I agree with your opinions on bullets/fur, that has been my limited findings also. Can I ask what load you use in that 40 grain V-max? I am messing with a 220 swift for a friend...........powder, powder charge, etc? We all figure out how to kill predators in various ways, I like to call, I like spot and stalk and I really like tracking them down, catch up to them and snipe them before they know you are around............snow, glasses, knowing when to move or not and paying attention to wind and sky line, lots of variables. Love the challenge.

I'm lucky to live overlooking a river valley and always have a bait going to shoot them off of. Plus I call some. Plus I snare a bunch. Plus a bunch are shot as a guy is going around the country side. Won't be that many this year, work is too busy. The kids have shot a few off the bait at home though.View attachment 226294
That's some mighty fine shooting there.

That's some mighty fine shooting there.

Eric, I agree with your opinions on bullets/fur, that has been my limited findings also. Can I ask what load you use in that 40 grain V-max? I am messing with a 220 swift for a friend...........powder, powder charge, etc? We all figure out how to kill predators in various ways, I like to call, I like spot and stalk and I really like tracking them down, catch up to them and snipe them before they know you are around............snow, glasses, knowing when to move or not and paying attention to wind and sky line, lots of variables. Love the challenge.
I have 2 220 swifts. The one I worked up a good load for 55gr Vmax and I carry the rifle in the truck when I work up north in case I see wolves. The swift that I shoot 40gr in and shoot coyotes with, I actually have not handloaded for it. I stumbled across a really good deal on a bunch of HSM ammo loaded with 40gr Vmax in a closing out sale of a hunting shop. Bought a couple cases of ammo and still have lots left. That HSM ammo is loaded hot. Chronied 4370fps from the 26" barrel of my Ruger varmint.

have you been able to pop a wolf with the 55 gr in the Swift? I would guess out to 200-400 yards it would be lights out. 3 to 4 years ago here along the Front a rancher had a broadside shot at a female wolf (keep in mind she was probably 60-70 #'s) he was shooting factory 32 grain bullet in a .204ruger, 403 yards, ka-POW, she dropped dead, shot thru the chest. So that Swift would do that or better.

If anybody is interested in a 46.5gr. custom 20 cal bullet p.m. me and I can put you in touch with the guy he's in Wyoming.
I've shot them at 4050fps and they shot well and his reports are there fur friendly.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.