204 ruger 1 bullet for all your hunting .

39 SBK for me also! 26gr RL10 rem primer, one little hole at a 100 yds with a 9 power scope, velocity is 3870 and don't think I've ever even seen one flick a tail after I shoot them with it, they are all DRT! But up close stay off the shoulder!
Interested in 204. on coyotes. Have any got away after a solid hit? You mean up close it might not penetrate a shoulder? What do you "know" is a realistic max yd on a tote? Thank you for your experience.

Interested in 204. on coyotes. Have any got away after a solid hit? You mean up close it might not penetrate a shoulder? What do you "know" is a realistic max yd on a tote? Thank you for your experience.
I've never had one get away, and shoot more than a fair share ,as I've proved many times here.I've shot several through the shoulder breaking the bone and destroying everything beyond. And most were with the lead free 24 grain Hornady NTX,granted shots were within or at 200 yards. Farthest ever 400 yards with a 39 grain Blitz King, by HSM .Results may vary,practice,practice,and more practice gets the desired results. In a skilled shooters hands 500 yards wouldn't be unrealistic, nevertheless 500 yards is a poke.At this stage the 204 has been 100% ,but we're talking about 20 coyotes taken max to date, as I've only had my 204 a little over a year.

of 17 I have shot since spring, the longest shots are 369 and 401 yards, kills them dead right now.....39 SBK, before winter is over I will have a 500 yarder.........

Last edited:
of 17 I have shot since spring, the longest shots are 369 and 401 yards, kills them dead right now.....39 SBK, before winter is over I will have a 500 yarder.........
There it is,500 yards would be near impossible where I live,100 yds is norm,now southern Ohio it could get a little hairy.You're in great long range country,and you know the 204 can do it. good shooting ,the round you're using is undoubtedly the best long range ,unless you handload.

Where I live you can get some pretty long shots as well . That's why I built a 6.5x284 , for shots out to 1000 yards . But for the most part when calling the shots here are from 25 feet to 100 yards or less . We also have a lot of gusting winds up to 60 mph normally around 10 to 20 mph . The longest shot of 550 yards with a 223 55 grain sierra hpbt was on a rare wind free day . I have made longer shots but with a 30 cal. and the 6.5 . I haven't tried the 204 yet but have been following this and a few other posts and find it interesting that a small 39 gr does so well . Our ammo has come a long way in just a few years .

Where I live you can get some pretty long shots as well . That's why I built a 6.5x284 , for shots out to 1000 yards . But for the most part when calling the shots here are from 25 feet to 100 yards or less . We also have a lot of gusting winds up to 60 mph normally around 10 to 20 mph . The longest shot of 550 yards with a 223 55 grain sierra hpbt was on a rare wind free day . I have made longer shots but with a 30 cal. and the 6.5 . I haven't tried the 204 yet but have been following this and a few other posts and find it interesting that a small 39 gr does so well . Our ammo has come a long way in just a few years .
Had you mistaken for another great coyote hunter J Reemty.

My .204 R, 11 twist, loaded with either CFE233 or IMR8208 and the 40 gr. .204 VMax bullet has replaced my light bullet (50-55 grain) .22-.250 loadings. Good dependable .204 R performance up to 400 yards. If I need more rifle then the .22-.250 loaded with 75 ELDM & RL16 is used but at a considerable cost increase. Then there are 6mm's & 6.5mm's at more cost increases & barrel wear as the targets appear at greater ranges & breezy days. Should I need to shoot some huge feral hog I would want more than the .204 40 gr. VMax.

Dsheetz, forgot more than I know.....Ohlangarm........I am just a weekend warrior.........I am not the "G-MAN" :oops: :oops: :oops:;)..........................but I can kill a few, whack'em and stack'em. Ka-POW. 👍

We have 10" of "supposed" snow coming Friday/Saturday and single digits, even though its deer season, may get a few more this weekend...................Dave, why dont you come up here and put them up for me, 50/50 split?????? :oops: ;) :eek:🍻

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.