.204 Ruger for Coyotes, what is your opinion?

I have shot a lot of coyote in the chest from the front using a 223 with 55gr sierra bthp's and 26.0 gr h335 . I have not had any problems with it penetrating . They usually go stiff legged and tip over .
As I mentioned earlier the, kill zone frontal shot is very small,5 inches wide or less the farther the shot the smaller the target.I've dropped many with that shot most with the 22 hornet,not one runaway,when, I hear about bullet splash on frontal shots,coyotes we're talking I surmise the shots were missed or just grazed their target.Once again I must emphasize practice,practice ,practice.Know where your rifle will shoot at ranges you might encounter,and don't fire a round unless you run it through a good ballistics calculator program.Missing coyotes in not an option I choose.

My biggest coyote was a male right at 40pounds. Shot was about 110yards dead center chest with a 32 gr V-max. It was a bang flop.

My biggest coyote was a male right at 40pounds. Shot was about 110yards dead center chest with a 32 gr V-max. It was a bang flop.

I've never weighed a dead coyote, but I would guess that most I've shot were more like 30 to 35 pounds. I've shot a lot of skinny little ones, too - mostly in Old Mexico and southern California. 20 pounders are pretty common around San Diego. The only really big one I ever was in northwestern Minnesota, and it looked do be about 50 pounds. That is not confirmed on a scale - just my best guess. My buddies back in Pennsylvania have killed some real monsters. One guy shot a female that weighed 66 pounds. It wasn't the biggest 'yote they had shot, either. Most of those get called in and shot with a shotgun; some get taken out with rifles. The 22-250 is pretty popular for that. The big one I shot in Minnesota was taken with a 12-gauge slug gun. A 1-1/4 ounce slug makes then very sick every time. Once on a deer hunt there, my buddy Todd shot one that mostly black. Not a big one; just your standard-sized dog. A 45-caliber muzzle-loader fixed his wagon.

Ohlongarm , I also say shot placement is the key . My old model 70 in 223 holds 1/2 groups at 100 yards and drops 2 feet at 550 yards with my loads . Upward or down angles it's shooting higher but I've put a lot of rounds down range to get used to it so I know where it will hit in most conditions that I shoot in , like you yes shooting is the way to go for knowing you and your rifle , learning how to deal with stress when one comes in to you so you don't get buck fever is also key . You are L.E. so you know about the stress management part of shooting . I think that a lot of people don't realize they may pull or push their shots when they have a frontal shot that wouldn't make much difference on a broad side shot as it is a wider target so two inch's side to side will still be a kill shot . I really don't recommend that anyone get into a couple of firefights to learn how to manage stress when hunting and you get a shot but I think a lot of people need help with that part of hunting as in the few moments of calling when one comes in people may not realize how excited they become or how much they are rushing their shot by not knowing they are excited . You are after all taking a life even if it is that of a coyote .

I agree with MalladHammer. Down here in BFE SE Montana where most dogs you spot are a poke out there outside of winter calling, I stick with my 22-250 and shoot a soft point. Yeah it's a small kill zone on them but most fur buyers the past few years have been paying well till about the end of January. Whatever you shoot just have repeated confidence in it and go slay em.

My friend Patrick--that is what he uses...loves the 204 for varmints.I used a 17 rem for awhile and liked it...now I prefer more..im not a pelt guy so a 25-06 and 257 have done most of the work along with a couple fast 22s...the 25s are way over what you need. I'm really thinking I need a fast 6mm...I think I need to lay down and let the urge pass.
I use a .243 Win handloaded with 105 gr Hornady Amax for yotes. I'm not trying to save pelts, it's purely for predator control to keep the mule deer fawns alive. This Amax is discontinued now but it's a great dog bullet. Kills em like they were struck by lightening but does make a big exit on occasion. Switched to it when the lighter bullets were getting pushed around by the wind. Taken 7 yotes with it in the last month.

Ohlongarm , I also say shot placement is the key . My old model 70 in 223 holds 1/2 groups at 100 yards and drops 2 feet at 550 yards with my loads . Upward or down angles it's shooting higher but I've put a lot of rounds down range to get used to it so I know where it will hit in most conditions that I shoot in , like you yes shooting is the way to go for knowing you and your rifle , learning how to deal with stress when one comes in to you so you don't get buck fever is also key . You are L.E. so you know about the stress management part of shooting . I think that a lot of people don't realize they may pull or push their shots when they have a frontal shot that wouldn't make much difference on a broad side shot as it is a wider target so two inch's side to side will still be a kill shot . I really don't recommend that anyone get into a couple of firefights to learn how to manage stress when hunting and you get a shot but I think a lot of people need help with that part of hunting as in the few moments of calling when one comes in people may not realize how excited they become or how much they are rushing their shot by not knowing they are excited . You are after all taking a life even if it is that of a coyote .
Very well said and 100% factual,I've seen so many weekend warriors blow shots that were easy,I mostly hunt and call solo because it galls me when a shot is missed I've seen guys shaking like they were having a seizure. Jerk that trigger and that's a miss.I'd rather pass on a yote than wound him or miss because the angle was bad etc,he'll be back another day.

Here is the scoop boys. Though it's not a 204, I use a 20-250, a true 400 yard gun. The only bullet I have found that will not splash and reliably/consistently kills coyotes is the Nosler 40 grain ballistic tip. I've killed 1000+ coyotes with this gun. In my case, velocity is at 4300 fps , and any lesser bullet simply splashes at that velocity. The solid base of the NBT makes the difference, always penetrates and exits.
31 grain 20 caliber Hammer Hunter Bullets arrived yesterday and I am anxious to try them in the 20-250 for non lead California coyotes. I reckon somewhere 4400-4500 fps, we shall see, load development starts today. I hope they "shoot" and kill adequately, that would solve my non lead bullet dilemma for CA.
BTW, I've killed a lot of coyotes with a frontal shot(coyote facing me). Every time, the animal went straight down, DRT, never took a step. However, that is a smaller kill zone. Drift left or right due to wind or wobble and a shoulder hit occurs, resulting in a wounded animal.
One last thing, i started out with a 1:12 twist and found it wasn't enough twist for a 40 grain bullet and replaced it with a 1:11. I've seen the same scenario with friends 204's where their factory barrels would not stabilize 39 and 40's either and were forced to shoot 32's.
Cheers! Gary

Here is the scoop boys. Though it's not a 204, I use a 20-250, a true 400 yard gun. The only bullet I have found that will not splash and reliably/consistently kills coyotes is the Nosler 40 grain ballistic tip. I've killed 1000+ coyotes with this gun. In my case, velocity is at 4300 fps , and any lesser bullet simply splashes at that velocity. The solid base of the NBT makes the difference, always penetrates and exits.
31 grain 20 caliber Hammer Hunter Bullets arrived yesterday and I am anxious to try them in the 20-250 for non lead California coyotes. I reckon somewhere 4400-4500 fps, we shall see, load development starts today. I hope they "shoot" and kill adequately, that would solve my non lead bullet dilemma for CA.
BTW, I've killed a lot of coyotes with a frontal shot(coyote facing me). Every time, the animal went straight down, DRT, never took a step. However, that is a smaller kill zone. Drift left or right due to wind or wobble and a shoulder hit occurs, resulting in a wounded animal.
One last thing, i started out with a 1:12 twist and found it wasn't enough twist for a 40 grain bullet and replaced it with a 1:11. I've seen the same scenario with friends 204's where their factory barrels would not stabilize 39 and 40's either and were forced to shoot 32's.
Cheers! Gary
Amen,that's why my 204 is a 1/10,so far it's handled all weights well.Even the 204 24 grain NTX Superformance at 4400 fps is devastating,here's a big dog shot at 75 yards,in left shoulder through it and bullet shattered his right shoulder ,no exit.How does that Nosler stand up to my 400 yard round,an HSM 39 grain Blitz King @ 3857 fps,0.287 BC,at 400 yards it drops 12 inches ,and delivering a respectable 550 ft pounds of energy.My few taken at that distance were drt,one spun and run but only made it 20 feet before piling up.
ss.jpg

Last edited:
Exit holes are about a quarter size hole for an average 100-200 yard kill. More damage of course if the animal is closer.

I haven't killed that many 400 yard coyotes, but the ones I have, is just keeping a fraction of daylight between the horizontal crosshair and the coyote's back. Some coyotes look further out than they really are, ( certainly no time to range with a rangefinder), and a hold over like that will often be a miss. For that reason, I always try to keep the cross hairs on fur and resist the temptation to hold over.

Ohlongarm.... I tried a lot of different 20 caliber bullets. Had custom bullets made, the whole deal, all failed miserably for specifically killing coyotes with my 20-250. More often than not they would splash on the surface of the animal requiring follow up shots. Unacceptable, gotta have quick clean kills. I tried the 39 grain Blitz Kings and they failed too, badly. I reckon at the mild velocities you are shooting, they'd be just fine? I'm anxious to try out these Hammer Hunters, I hope they work.

I wouldn't know about splashes ,never experienced it with my go to guns,usually 22 Hornet or 204,the highest velocities i've shot with 204 are 24 NTX,Hornady Superformance 4400fps,32 grain Blitz King @ 4045,and 32 V-max @4020,all shot deadly out to the ranges I generally encounter 100 yards to 300 yards.

The only time I had what you would call a splash was during a snow storm at 8500 feet and in the teens for a temp. I had a coyote standing broad side at 50 yards . I was using a 17 Remington with factory loads running 4200 fps mv average . I pulled the trigger the coyote started screaming and spinning . I shot it again and it dropped . When I got over to it I found a spot that was an inch long and 1/2 inch wide where the first shot had been placed that had no fur looking like it had been burned but no penetration . The second shot had done it's job and had gone in on the other side rib cage . I always thought that the bullet was traveling broad side when it hit and blew up , maybe due to deflecting off of a snow flake because of it's lite weight and speed in higher thinner air with low temps. .