2023 Meat Pole

I had a mtn lion come through chasing deer while I was in a treestand with my bow. Stopped at 20 yards staring at me. I wanted to take the shot with the bow, but she never gave me a broadside shot so the pistol was second-best option. Sure, I wish she was larger (she was about 70 pounds), but she was by herself and legal and I'm looking forwards to trying mountain lion meat!View attachment 495631
Have had mountain loin jerky.
Was much better that rutted up muleys I have shot.
Tasted like whitetail in jerky form.

Long time lurker and seldom poster here. I do enjoy the information and hunting tales shared on this forum. I live and hunt in the SE, so I don't hunt long range. There is just no opportunity for it here.

Anyway, I was lucky to get to hunt with my cousins on public land in NW Alabama over Thanksgiving. I hunt from a tree saddle, and was watching a hardwood bottom from a bunch of pines. I heard and saw him move just before he came into a small shooting window. I was barely able to get the shot off before he moved on. He was a big bodied healthy buck, they aged him at 5 1/2 yrs. The one short horn has 6 points.

Attachments

• 20231124_150742.jpeg
    20231124_150742.jpeg
    433.3 KB · Views: 61
Filled my second tag of the season, this one in the beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota. Hunted hard for 8 days and just couldn't find one I wanted to hang my tag on. I did a ton of rattling but the rut was kicking off a little slower than other years. Finally got some cold weather and that seemed to do the trick. Rattled this guy in twice and finally dropped the hammer on him this morning. I had a great time hunting, most of it solo but some with my son, brother, and friends. Saw a ton of elk as well, which is always fun! Already looking forward to next year!

Attachments

• IMG_6336.JPG
    IMG_6336.JPG
    454.6 KB · Views: 115