2022 Whitetail down.

Blessed to have success this morning. 583yd tripod shot bang-flop with the 6mm PRC Primal running 110 A-Tips. Only shot-worthy deer I've seen this year. Bad year for horn around here... literally the only mature deer I've seen.

ZYWVYf8h.jpg

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

He's a real dandy. Very nice buck. Congrats

Wow great buck!
Was your area impacted by EHD? I was in Wyoming and the hunting was tough. The numbers (per my buddies that have been there multiple years now) were way down do to multiple years of EHD kill off.

Blessed to have success this morning. 583yd tripod shot bang-flop with the 6mm PRC Primal running 110 A-Tips. Only shot-worthy deer I've seen this year. Bad year for horn around here... literally the only mature deer I've seen.

ZYWVYf8h.jpg

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Nice trophy and nice shootin'! The only good deer in the area wandered across your path...and now you've got some protein and a new hat rack!

tell us about that gun, everything about that gun it is beautiful
The rifle is #1 of the new line of precision rifles we'll be offering chambered in the PRC Primal cartridges. .22cal, 6mm, 6.5mm, and 7mm improved cases all based off the 6.5 PRC parent case. This one is in 6mm PRC Primal. It has a 24" benchmark carbon barrel, Manners LRH stock, Triggertech Diamond trigger, @HawkinsPrecision Heavy Tactical rings and Hunter DBM. The action is a Lone Peak Fuzion stainless nitrided short action magnum which has been completely gone through by Stratton Custom Rifles during the build process. The Manners LRH has a custom spacer for cheek height, and a unreleased MLOK single slot embedded in the forearm, for use with the Kinetic QD picatinny rail up front. The Atlas PSR connects to it using the standard ADM mount. This allows for instant detach and attachment of the bipod, and a flush no-snag forearm when a bipod isn't needed. Thunderbeast Ultra 7 6.5 GenII suppressor on the muzzle. Tangent Theta 525P Coyote optic. Tripod is a Really Right Stuff TFCT-33-Anvil30.

The camo is all custom Cerakote applied by my good friend Daniel at Primal Finish. https://www.instagram.com/primalfinish/
This pattern was released on this rifle, and is called Bedrock Badlands. The Bedrock camo can be had using all manner of colors to suit nearly any environment.

If you're interested in a rifle package like this, give me a call.

Wow great buck!
Was your area impacted by EHD? I was in Wyoming and the hunting was tough. The numbers (per my buddies that have been there multiple years now) were way down do to multiple years of EHD kill off.

Deer numbers were up, but deer maturity was down. The hunting pressure is getting absolutely insane in northwest SD... and seemingly extremely few people have any kind of size/maturity standard anymore... so if it has horns, and is brown... its down. This deer was literally the only mature deer I saw the entire season and all scouting leading up to it. The number of 2.5yr and 3.5yr old bucks that got shot this year would blow your mind. I've never seen so many dead 70-120" bucks in my life. ...and there's no excuse for it either, because the majority of the tags given are "any deer" tags... so you can shoot a mule deer or a whitetail... buck or a doe.

I saw a suburban with 3-4 hunters in it... chase a deer for a mile, trying to shoot it every few hundred yards. They'd race up on it, stop, and start blasting. Little did they know I was watching from a hill on the next mile over. They didn't get it... and given the amount of horsepower and smashing around they did in that hay field, I thought a monster was headed my way, because they chased it right at me. It comes running by, and it's maybe an 80" 4x3. I felt sick. That was just one instance, which was repeated in one form or the next all season to this point. It was quite cold and windy for the first week of season, and that's all I saw the entire time. Pickups and SUV's driving around.

So no, we didn't have a perceptible EHD problem this year. Just a lazy, morally bankrupt, and standard-less hunter problem, which seems to get worse every single year. There's no end to the justifications for it all.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Are they giving out a lot of tags compared to years past? Seems like high deer populations with easy draws always end with a buck population that consists almost completely of 1.5 and 2.5 year old bucks.

Are they giving out a lot of tags compared to years past? Seems like high deer populations with easy draws always end with a buck population that consists almost completely of 1.5 and 2.5 year old bucks.
That seems to be the case. If deer numbers are a problem, then doe tags will suffice. Yet it's all about the money for the South Dakota GF&P. Hunting stopped being about the animals a long time ago. Now it's about state revenue and social media.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

I'm bummed to hear this as I have 5 pts in SD as a nonresident. Was hoping to be able to at least have the opportunity at a good deer if I put in the work.