2000$ package opinion

kukusya

Good evening,
I'm planning to build or buy complete rifle in 308 for 600 yards big game hunting and shooting. I plan to spend 1K for rifle and 1K for scope.I have a couple of ideas but I would like to listen you guys to make my mind.
Please leave comments what works for you or your opinion. Thank you so much

For your consideration, Savage Arms 11/111 Lightweight Hunter or Savage Arms 16/116 Lightweight Hunter, both models are under 6 pounds.

Since all I know is your .308 Win chambering and under 10 lbs weight requirement, that's all I am recommending at this time.

Scope magnification range, SFP vs FFP, etc? The more information you can provide, the better recommendation you'll get, instead of us guessing.

Cheers!

Good evening,
I'm planning to build or buy complete rifle in 308 for 600 yards big game hunting and shooting. I plan to spend 1K for rifle and 1K for scope.I have a couple of ideas but I would like to listen you guys to make my mind.
Please leave comments what works for you or your opinion. Thank you so much
I try to modify my first post but can do it Sorry for confusion and make you guess.
So that what I want it:
Bolt action rifle chambered in 308 and weight 8lb or less
SFP or maybe FFP (if reticle easy visible at lower magnification) lowest magnification x4 or less and top less that x16 it be hunting rifle so no precise paper pinching just practice.

My original idea was barreled action Howa 1500 heavy barrel. Send it for fluting and bedded in bc stock. Nightforce base and talley rings top with SWFA SS 3-15x42 (FFP or SFP didn't decide yet) or HD 3-9x42 FFP. Harris ultralight bipod and 600rd for practice next 12 weeks.

Please leave your opinion, ideas and what you like it or work for you best.

I would recommend Badger Ordnance for the base. It is the only one I know of that you can get with 45 moa. At 600 yards you have no need of a canted base at all but with a scope that has all over 100 moa of internal adjustment available, why not get a base that will allow you to use it if you decide to stretch it out a bit farther.

Tikka T3 Lite (Maybe CTR if the weight is right) and Nightforce SHV 4-14x50 with MOAR reticle.

I try to modify my first post but can do it Sorry for confusion and make you guess.
So that what I want it:
Bolt action rifle chambered in 308 and weight 8lb or less
SFP or maybe FFP (if reticle easy visible at lower magnification) lowest magnification x4 or less and top less that x16 it be hunting rifle so no precise paper pinching just practice.

My original idea was barreled action Howa 1500 heavy barrel. Send it for fluting and bedded in bc stock. Nightforce base and talley rings top with SWFA SS 3-15x42 (FFP or SFP didn't decide yet) or HD 3-9x42 FFP. Harris ultralight bipod and 600rd for practice next 12 weeks.

Please leave your opinion, ideas and what you like it or work for you best.
If you stick with this train of thought be sure and find out beforehand if you can find a gunsmith that will flute a barrel that has already been finished and lapped.

"Heavy Barrel" and "Under 8lbs" really don't go together.

If you stick with this train of thought be sure and find out beforehand if you can find a gunsmith that will flute a barrel that has already been finished and lapped.

"Heavy Barrel" and "Under 8lbs" really don't go together.

lightbulb+1! The Savage light weight rifles are hard to beat for the money.lightbulb

For your consideration, Savage Arms 11/111 Lightweight Hunter or Savage Arms 16/116 Lightweight Hunter, both models are under 6 pounds.

Heck, I would buy a stainless SPS Remington and put a Leupold VX3i of your choosing on it.
I was actually thinking about Bergara B14 Hunter (rem700 blueprint) 22" #3 barrel 1MOA guaranteed top with vx3i 3.5-10x40 cds. But still leaning in tac-cool set up.

I was actually thinking about Bergara B14 Hunter (rem700 blueprint) 22" #3 barrel 1MOA guaranteed top with vx3i 3.5-10x40 cds. But still leaning in tac-cool set up.
Tacticool is only cool till you have had to lug it around for several miles.

I was looking over at Bud's because I'm thinking of adding another M77 Hawkey FTW and saw they have them at something like 905.00. If the one I bought in .260 is representative of how they are shooting it would be money well spent.

Right now I'm trying to talk myself out of getting one in .375 Ruger. It's not the coolest or prettiest rifle on the market but I'm awfully pleased with the one I got.

Thank you all for reply's and PM's. I settle down work T3x super varmint 6.5x55 And I will top with S Tac 3-16x42.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.