opinion on christenson rifles

jaeger19

So I am thinking of getting a 338 lapua in a hunting weight rifle. Christensen has a stock classic carbon in 338 lapua for under 3000. Guarantee of 1 inch moa. I did some internet reviews and theyare very mixed between awesome and ddon't bother. A lot of threads devolve into the carbon wrapped vs steel arguments. I would like any opinions especially if they involve actually experience with this maker/model.

Jaeger19, I have the Carbon Extreme in 300WSM, I purchased it right around the time I really started getting into long range shooting. The gun has a removable brake and thread protector, and the carbon fiber stock, I replaced the stock trigger with a Jewel. It shoots my handloaded 165 swift scirocco's into 5 shot, 1/2 groups @100yds when I really hold it down.

Around the same time, a friend of mine purchased the Classic in 300 RUM, with much poorer results, he never approached 1" groups, and had a couple other shooters try too also. All of them are accomplished long range shooters. After too much back and forth with the company, I believe he got his money back, but it took much effort and I think a visit to the companies plant.

So, there you have more two sided info on them. I think I got lucky, and I really do appreciate the gun for pack hunts. Even though the Extreme I have and the Classic in the 338 Lapua are two different animals, I am pretty sure that Lapua will be a handful on the bench, which makes it tougher to see just how well it shoots.
JMHO

Windwalker1

I have had two of my rifles rebarreled by them and they both shoot sub moa. One is a 7stw on a rem action the other is a 338 win on a ruger action. Both have Vais brakes and I tried to shoot them with them removed and it was a mistake. I can't imagine what a Lapua would feel like when you pulled the trigger....

Thanks guys. How long ago were both your experiences?

As far as recoil I don't see what the big deal is? 338-378 has been around a long time before there were muzzle breaks. Not that it was pleasant but I have shot 375. And bigger unbraked. So I am surprised that there is not more interest in hunting weight rifles.

Thanks again

l load for one in 300RUM. Sub MOA to 1000. Occasional bad ones noted.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.