opinion on Christensen Carbon rifles

dustybrown

New to the site.... Alot of Knowledge herelightbulb... Looking for feed back on the Carbon One in 300 WSM... Not so much the cal. but more the about the rifle it self.... They guarantee .5 moa at 100 yd. x3 shots... Not a big deal... But i Like the concept... Would love your 2 cents....

Ya ...I see this question has been answered ....thanx Ill stay clear... I thought I saw a good deal on a new gun in my area.... It was NIB for 1900$ in 300 WSM .... I dont need one but im weak for new guns...

I'm pretty confident in saying that Christensen Arms is the most overpriced, over-rated gun shop in America today. Anyone who knows precision equipment and precision shooting sees red flags all over their products.

I have never owned a Christensen rifle nor do I plan on it. I have talked to many shooters who have had them or have them. Most hated or hate them. A few "love" them but none of those guys shoot it more than a few shells a year right before hunting season. They dont shoot them enough to have an opinion on them. They paid top dollar for them and they look like theyre on the cutting edge of technology so they must be the bomb.

Quite frankly, they may hold 1/2" when you get them but the barrels will cook in short order and wont hold the 1/2" groups for long.

I have a rem 700 in 300 rum and it shoots mediocre groups with hand loads. a 165 grain MRX with 93.5 grains of RL25 and federal 215 m primers on full lenth sized brass... Im looking to get it to shoot under an inch... I have a HS prescision full bed stock other wise it is stock... No other mods.. I have a VX # 6.5 x 20 x 50 mounted... Im either going to buy a new gun or have this one sent off and get the the thing to shoot as well as I can. I want the action trued and squared and im not oposed to rebarelling it ..... But im overwhelmed by the different types of after market barrels... Hart , shillen, lija, pac nor, the list goes on and on not to mention contours and twist rates.... Id love to hear some ideas you pros have... id consider a different cal. too. 7mm or Stw... would lover to hear any idea on that as well.... I like timney trigers but ive never shot a jewel.....oh ya lenth of barel and muzle brake or not ? BTW im not an english major nor do use spell check

Last edited:
I have a rem 700 in 300 rum and it shoots mediocre groups with hand loads. a 165 grain MRX with 93.5 grains of RL25 and federal 215 m primers on full lenth sized brass... Im looking to get it to shoot under an inch... I have a HS prescision full bed stock other wise it is stock... No other mods.. I have a VX # 6.5 x 20 x 50 mounted... Im either going to buy a new gun or have this one sent off and get the the thing to shoot as well as I can. I want the action trued and squared and im not oposed to rebarelling it ..... But im overwhelmed by the different types of after market barrels... Hart , shillen, lija, pac nor, the list goes on and on not to mention contours and twist rates.... Id love to hear some ideas you pros have... id consider a different cal. too. 7mm or Stw... would lover to hear any idea on that as well.... I like timney trigers but ive never shot a jewel.....oh ya lenth of barel and muzle brake or not ? BTW im not an english major nor do use spell check

Any of the barrels you mentioned will work fine. Add to the list Krieger and Bartlein.
The 300 ultra is fine except for the fact that brass is and has been very hard to come by lately.
7 Stw is fine too with heavier bullets.
There are only two triggers: Shilen and Jewell. Normally I'd say get the Jewell hands down but Shilens trigger is almost as good and has nuts on the adjustment screws and that can be a good thing for a heavy recoiling gun going on a horse or atv.
26-28" barrel is fine and I wouldn't want to pack longer than that through brush or rocky ledges.
Definitely get a brake. They keep the gun's movements to a minimum while the bullet is still in the barrel and they allow you to spot your own shots.

Just my 2

Thanx for the input... At the present time I have 100 unfired primed brass and 200 once fired brass.... Primers are the issue Im finding... Im out.... Im don't shoot as much as I would like to but I have a 1000 yard range in my back yard, that my friend marked off for me he is a Surveyour. So on that I plan to shoot more and develop a good load... and develop my lack off skills breaking the shot...I like the perfomance on game that the barnes MRX has on big elk and deer ive seen it work verry well... 3 bucks and 2 elk... all exited at 200 to 480 yards... with terminal wounds.... however I assume that im sacrificimg some accuacy over sierra or other like burger... I was looking at spending 2000$ to get my gun capable to shoot like I want... I may never shoot as good as the gun would be capable but there is always that hope..... thank you much for the ideas... I think a brake will help the flinch as long as I can shoot with out one in the feild... I hate ear protection while hunting.... Will the POI change with or with out a brake ? Im once again assuming it will....

Last edited:
I think a brake will help the flinch as long as I can shoot with out one in the feild... I hate ear protection while hunting.... Will the POI change with or with out a brake ? Im once again assuming it will....

Yes it will change your POI. Also if your barrel is very finicky it can change your group size as well for better or for worse. Best thing to do is test your loads with AND without your brake. Then practice with the brake and re-zero just before you hunt. If youre longrange hunting, there is ussualy ample time to install ear plugs.

Also if you are overwhelmed with contours and twists dont be. Choose what bullets you would like to shoot and pass that info on here. We can easily help you choose a twist. Contours are a personal preference and while important are not as important as twists.

As far as barrels, IMHO Lilja are cream. Many shooters here like Krieger, Lilja, Rock Creek, Bartlien, Hart and VERY few like Shilen. I also have limited experience with Shilen and what experience I do have isnt very positive.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.