2 rifles...cxp2 and cxp3. What would you choose?

The Oregonian

I don't handload, so keep that in mind. Would you go 270 and 30-06 or something like 260 or 25.06 and 30-06 or 7rem mag?

I am looking to keep recoil at a minimum for little ones growing up...and sots likely under 400 yds.

So, without wildcats, what would you suggest? I hav guns already, but asking for perspective as if the safe was empty.

Thx

Oregon,

If you want a 2 rifle set, I would go 243, 257 Bob, or 260 for the light rifle, and 30-06 or 280 for the larger rifle. For up to 400 yards, a magnum is not needed IMHO. One rifle in 270, 7-08 or 308 would also do well for a lot of years.

It depends on whether or not you will be eating ammo shooting varmints as well. A smaller caliber makes more sense to me if that is the case. If you are only talking big game, I would just get one rifle and shoot lighter bullets until they are big enough for heavier ones.

I started with a 243, and for deer and antelope it was just fine with 100 grain bullets. When I started elk hunting, I used a 30-06 with 180's. We also used the 243's for varmints.

Jeremy

.308 for a light caliber. Ton of good ammo to cover your recoil concerns. Will manage deer to 400 with ease. 7mmRM with a break installed either from factory model, or aftermarket. 7mmRM will handle anything in North America at 400-800yds.

Hard to beat the Savage 243. One of the few off the shelf rifles with a faster twist for the heavier bullets. You didn't define the age of the kids. Good luck. I found that the Remington 95 gr Accu-tip was very accurate in my 243.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.