1st Post......Building a 1000yrd RUM???

the level isn't "unneccasary crap" it takes very little rifle cant to cause a miss at 1000 yards. I wouldn't attempt a 1K shot without a level.
RR

I argee with both crab and ridgerunner. I dislike haveing an ACI and level on my rifle, but I need both for shooting as far as I want to. Unless shooting at targets that you can walk your shot in on or having a tactical situation where there are refernces to level your reticule (like a door or the side of a building), i feel a level is a must. If theres a posibility of angled shots greater than 10-15 degrees i feel that there should also be some sort of inclineometer used as well. thats just me though, but i tried without and with and felt that the positives far outweigh the negatives.

the level isn't "unneccasary crap" it takes very little rifle cant to cause a miss at 1000 yards. I wouldn't attempt a 1K shot without a level.
RR
That's why I said "I like the bubble idea". Just looking for opinions and appriciate yours. I've been a high end custom home builder for over 20 years and have a reputation for being anal in the Level and Plumb department. I understand its importance, just not sure I need it? How many of you guys use a level bubble and how many actually use it?

In my practice sessions and even hunting even though I've been at this awhile, I still look through the scope level the rifle by eye and then check the level, it amazes me how bad I'm off level by just eyeballing, even if you don't have the rifle perfectly level, using the bubble makes you consistant, consistancy is a must.
RR

when I first got my level I thought that It would maybe be correcting a few degrees of cant. after getting all set up comfy for the shot, when I would normally start shooting, I looked at my level and I bet i was out 15 degrees. some may not be as bad as me, but I know that the level is a must on every rifle I own from now on.

In this picture I left the B- Square bubble on the Picatinny rail to keep the rifle level while I lined up the vertical Part of the reticule on the edge of a house about 100 yds. away. When I could run the reticule all the way up & down on the edge of the house with the turret with the B- Square bubble level then I leveled the Vortex Bubble Level to the B- Square bubble. My scope is not perfect because at 1,000 yds. it seems to only be 1/4 moa click of the turret to the right. I haven't figured out how to get more perfect.

If you are shooting at an elk at 1,000 yds. and your rifle is canted you may not even hit the animal or even the boiler room.

The target is the second time I have ever shot at a paper target. The 5 shot group sizes and scores are on the lower right. I am planning to do better. gun)gun)gun)

joseph

Attachments

• vortex bubble level 1.JPG
    vortex bubble level 1.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 1000 yd. target.JPG
    1000 yd. target.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
This should put the bubble level questions to rest... found this on another forum NOT MY INFO.
See the attached pic, 308 win w/155 Scenar @ 600yds. Cant was designed to be 5* left & 5* right. Pretty significant difference.

Attachments

• Aim Cant Effect.jpg
    Aim Cant Effect.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 51
joseph,
if you want to level your reticule perfectly just take a 4' level to the range next time you go and make a perfectly level crosshair on a peice of paper as big as the paper will allow. make sure that you use a sharpy or something black and thick. I did this at 450 yards with several rifles and it works well.

This should put the bubble level questions to rest... found this on another forum NOT MY INFO.
See the attached pic, 308 win w/155 Scenar @ 600yds. Cant was designed to be 5* left & 5* right. Pretty significant difference.

That test was the one that cinched it for me, very compelling!!!!

joseph,
if you want to level your reticule perfectly just take a 4' level to the range next time you go and make a perfectly level crosshair on a peice of paper as big as the paper will allow. make sure that you use a sharpy or something black and thick. I did this at 450 yards with several rifles and it works well.

The corner of my neighbors house is plumb with a 4' carpenters level. At 100 yds. I run the vertical up and down 30 feet of the edge of the house. If my math is correct and my reticule is off by 2.5 inches at 1,000 yds. I'd say it is pretty accurate. I still can't see how I could twist the scope in the rings to correct the 2.5 inches at 1,000 yds.

joseph

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.