1st Post......Building a 1000yrd RUM???

In my experience most people under the 200-225lbs range find it rather difficult to snuggle up to them for multiple shots without some rather extravagent and expensive modifications such as custom recoil reducing stocks especially in rifles below 14lbs, which is the upper limit on what most people consider to be a suitable pack rifle.

I'm 5'7", 160 lb and Ive been shooting a 300 RUM without a brake for a couple of years now. Got about 400 rounds through it on the bench. The most I've put through it one sitting is about 50 in a 2 hr period with no problem, I could have shot another 500. I use a slip-on recoil pad, and it works great. That being said, my next RUM will have a brake (and the OP mentioned he was getting a brake also) so I can get back on target quickly.

On barrel length, weight isn't the issue with me, although it helps a little. 2" of barrel doesn't weigh all that much. It just a little cumbersome when your carrying it. And if your carrying through brush, etc., it's a real pain. For a carry rifle, I like to go as short as practical and still good efficiency out of the cartridge. And like Long Time said, the shorter the stiffer the barrel and smaller the contour needed. The WSM's are probably the ideal carry rilfes.

My carry rifle is 7-2 oz. bare, 26'' barrel 27 + w/brake, built to carry and it shoots. I would also think of chop and crown, one of my buddies has good luck with his 7 STW, minor work. He has a full custom 7mm SAUL. Mine is a 338 NM, Defiance, Lonewolf stock.

I think I would do as suggested and have that last inch cut off and re crown... It may be a great shooter and you can put the money saved towards optics or fuel to and from hunting grounds...

I'm 5'7", 160 lb and Ive been shooting a 300 RUM without a brake for a couple of years now. Got about 400 rounds through it on the bench. The most I've put through it one sitting is about 50 in a 2 hr period with no problem, I could have shot another 500. I use a slip-on recoil pad, and it works great. That being said, my next RUM will have a brake (and the OP mentioned he was getting a brake also) so I can get back on target quickly.
Then you aren't "most people".

What does your rig weigh?

Then you aren't "most people".

What does your rig weigh?
Actually, I'm guessing I'm very average when it comes to recoil tolerance. When I shoot my 7 RM without a slip-on recoil pad (it doesn't have a great recoil pad) I'm done after about 20 rounds. I probably wouldn't last 5 rounds with the RUM. My point was that it's possible to deal with the recoil very easily without doing a lot of mods to the rifle, if one is willing to live with shooting with a slip-on recoil pad on the bench. In the feild, it can be taken off, but I usually leave it on. Another very important consideration, which I'm sure I don't have to tell you, is shooting technique. Need to get that butt firmly in the pocket of the shoulder. Put it outside the pocket or a little loose and there will be consequences even with the slip-on. Done that.

Anyway, I am now a believer in brakes to keep muzzle jump to a minimum so you can get back on target quickly.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. I've been shooting for 36yrs and not concerned with the recoil in the 300 RUM. I know what to expect and have shot that round in several configurations. Just want to get the essential componets so I can get the build started. Will probably add the stock next year if I have issues with the wood, but can't swing another $500 for the stock I want right now. I know the barrel is going to take several weeks, so still time to consider small details.
As far as the 7MM STW........no looking back. Although a fantastic round, I prefer Ford over Chevy, or Chocolate over vanilla:D I'me going to stay focused on the RUM, I'm going to stay focused on the RUM, I'm going to stay focused on the RUM...........

Well, my Lilja barrel should be in this week as well as my Lazzeroni stock :D
What do you guys suggest I do for mounting my VX3 6.5X20 30mm tube w/50mm bell with 94 MOA. Looking at the Nightforce (A196) one piece rail with 20 MOA and the angle degree indicator. What are my options?
Thanks again........CRAB

Last edited:
Well, my Lilja barrel should be in this week as well as my Lazzeroni stock :D
What do you guys suggest I do for mounting my VX3 6.5X20 30mm tube w/50mm bell with 94 MOA. Looking at the Nightforce (A196) one piece rail with 20 MOA and the angle degree indicator. What are my options?
Thanks again........CRAB

Lilja was a good choice in barrels. What contour and length did you go with? Did you go with 300RUM?

In terms of mounting your scope, you have lots of options. A 20 or 30moa one piece base is a good start. Given that you have 94moa in your scope, I would probably lean towards a 30moa base. While the NF bases are nice, you can save a few bucks and get an EGW.

Are you set on the rings you're going to use? I like the Burris Signature Rings but there are tons of good options out there. Check out my rig...

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-300rum-mcr-70809/#post494570

As for rings and a Picatinny rail I would strongly suggest you get steel for a rifle that may have a hard recoil. I would also suggest you mount a good bubble level that off sets to the side of your scope so you can see it while aiming. Also make sure that your vertical cross hair is perfectly vertical. It will make a difference on those long shots.

Good luck with your build. :)

joseph

when shooting deer at 1000 yds, without someone spotting, you need a brake, to need it to see the bullet impact and to mark the spot where the shat was taken and where the game went after the shot.
even with drt hits its sometimes diffacult to find the game, once you get there, I've watched deer drop at the shot and then spent an hour looking for them because once you get there, everything looks different.
RR

Yes, I did go with the 300RUM. Lilja 3 groove barrel #5 contour with 1:9" twist. 26.7" that will finish at 28" with the Holland brake. The Lazzeroni thumbhole stock has a 1" Pachmayr recoil pad.
I like the bubble idea after reading about the Lazzeroni stock being a bit cocked and hard to hold level, but I'm pretty old school and don't like a bunch of unnecessary crap hanging off my gun. So I guess I'll just have to wait and see how it feels.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.