1st gps help

264win

could anyone point me in the right direction , im going to buy a gps for backpack hunting this year , not sure which one to get . i kind of like the rino ones with the built in radio . are these any good ? any recomendations would be appreciated . durability is my primary concern . thanks adam

Dude.. that is a tall order to ask.. I use one which is cheap and simple.. I learned a few things in the service and one was keep it simple, stupid... KISS..

Look for a couple of things.. Lasts a long time on the batteries... mine lasts nearly all week on one set of batts...

I like Black and white.. no need for color for me.. uses power...

I don't have a map in mine. It is strictly lines.. follow the little black line...

Have a compass and map as a backup... and know how to use both..

I have the low end Garmin..little yellow thing.. have had it about 4 yrs.. works fine and I treat it poorly...

If you an afford it get a Garmin 60CSX. Its been around a long time.
I use one for geocaching/hiking. I also have a Garmin Zumo that I use on motorcylce and car.
Check amazon.com for prices.

Steve

Definite go on the Garmin! The added benifit is that the government also uses the garmin and a lot of their software is compatable with the garmin. Forest Service and the Agriculture Dept.

I have the Garmin e-trex and it is good to get you simple stuff,like back into familiar areas and the truck.
One of my hunting buddies has two Gamin Rhinos and they are great if you have two so two parties can keep track of each others position or radio back and forth, bad side is they eat batteries and are slow to pick up and track. My e-trex is faster and a little more accurate. But I love the Rhinos used in pairs, if going single the others are better.

The rhino 530 hcx is based off the 60 series and uses the same high sensitivity receiver. the lower end units don't have this feature and don't work real well in dense woods which is where most hunters are.

Look for the Garmin Etrex H. The H stands for High sensitivity. My friend has had good luck with his. He gets good readings in thick New Zealand bush. I don't know whether the etrex H or the 60 series is better, but the etrex H is definetly better then the old etrex.

Stu.

thanks all . i think garmin has discontinued the etrex ? i just got a great deal on a model 72 im going to see how i like it . i may have to upgrade , but ill give it a shot . adam

Hi Adam -

I can see you picked up your GPS - hows it working for you?

+1 for the Garmin 60CSx. It's the gold standard - the bench-mark by which all the other GPS units are measured by.

I researched this topic for months through the internet geocaching forums and spoke with some hardcore geocachers i know personally. Though a bit bigger and heavier than the new smaller units, i believed it to be the best choice.

I've been using it now for over a year and now i *know* it's the best choice for me. I use mine for many things - mountaineering, setting compass-course navigation points, general direction tracking in my car - so many ways it's useful.

The battery as spec'ed isn't as high as the *newer* models, yet i always have plenty of juice, it takes a 2GB SD card and so i can plug in tons of maps. Also, it's perfect for marking a great sighting or finding sign. I also like the "track" function - records everywhere i went while the GPS was on. I usually turn it on to get my "bearings" and a bit and as i've getting close to where i want to be, then turn it off.

I've taken it white-water rafting here and it's more than water-proof for all the serious dunking i gave it.

As options i have the cigarette lighter plug-in and one case with the clear plastic over the screen and another nylon case to go over that which is just like a general storage sack.

I think they can be had for around $300 - prolly less now and well worth every penny.

frank

i found the 72 just to be to prehistoric for me . so i bought a etrex venture hc . i like it very much. i used it for a 3 week deer /elk hunt it was great . i also like that it uses 2 aa batts . that way it interchanges with everything else i carry. thank for all the help . adam

+1 on the Garmin 60CSX. Best GPS in the world. It is rugged and will take the abuse. I have dropped it from 15,000 Ft while skydiving, yes bad idea for taking it. It only had a small scratch when I found it over the DZ. MapSource can be a pain in the butt, but you can get babel to translate files from google earth.

The battery life is amazing. I always took it with me for white tail. I would leave it on all day, just in case if I saw a deer I could range it and mark it on the map. It was great for finding the trends and tails of game.

Also, it is programed to do Geocashing if you are into that.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.