Recommendations for 1st Spot and Stalk Hunt

collegiatesportsman

I am a college student on a budget. I have experience hunting whitetail in the Mid-Atlantic, but we only use tree stands. I was looking for some advice about where is the best place for me to experience DIY spot and stalk hunting — my research tells me that I have to leave the east coast to do this. I am not picky about which big game animal I hunt and as long as I am spot and stalk hunting I don't care about taking a big doe versus a buck. I am relatively proficient with compound bow and rifle. My fitness is good. Thanks.

Lots of good options with over the counter tags for Bull Elk in Colorado, along with availability of General Season Mule Deer tags in Southern Utah. That is where I would start.

I'd have black bear on the list. Some spring, and summer hunts that might fit into a college students schedule better.

the best animal to spot and stock in my opinion is antelope. (actually, big horn sheep is probably the best, but that is out of the budget) I would suggest an antelope hunt in Wyoming, Colorado, or Montana. The good news is you can usually see them and then you have to figure out how to get close. Sure beats hunting something that you may never spot to stalk.

Have to agree on the antelope comment. When you blow the stalk, and you will if you are new to this,...it's not like you won't have an opportunity to try it again 30 minutes later on another group.

It's relatively cheap to do and you could do a hunt over your fall break from classes.

Dirty Steve

Hey Dirty, the ultimate spot & stalk critter is the back bear! Killed my 1st bear with a friend who had hounds. To me there is no sport in walking up to a tree & blow a bear out of it. Now I only hunt bears by spot & stalk. I have killed 7 in this manner.
Would be glad to help you.
Thanks, Kirk

Hey Dirty, the ultimate spot & stalk critter is the back bear! Killed my 1st bear with a friend who had hounds. To me there is no sport in walking up to a tree & blow a bear out of it. Now I only hunt bears by spot & stalk. I have killed 7 in this manner. Would be glad to help you. Thanks, Kirk

I've killed them most ways....and each has it's own merits. But Catahoula is correct that spot and stalk is more doable than some think. I am certain with Kirk's help your odds of success rises a bunch.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I like Jeremyc and Dirty Steve's logic about getting to stalk multiple groups of antelope rather than maybe never spotting your quarry. I think I will plan antelope as my first trip, perhaps black bear in the spring sometime (also I'd prefer to eat antelope than bear), then once I have some experience I may work my way up to elk or mule deer.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.