199gr Hammer Hunter Question

Remember accuracy is key, not just speed. We have the ability to use drop charts. Find the bullet and powder that allows you to hit your target species int he proper kill zone and dont get hung up on speed. A 4000 fps bullet in the butt does not kill. A 2700 fps bullet through the heart and lungs does the job. If H1000 is the powder to give you the best groups and ES, then by all means shoot 2900 fps and be ethical and accurate. I find H1000 to be my go to powder for several calibers.
I'm firmly in that camp. If I'm in the 3000fps range, plus or minus a couple of hundred, that's all good. All I care about is getting a quick ethical kill out to about 600 yds. Accuracy is the most important thing to me.

This post was really more about reloading theory for me. If I go to a lighter bullet, do I need to go to a little faster powder?

I have some H1000 so I'll try a ladder of that and see how it goes.

Thanks

I have lots of reloading experience but not really for precision.

I bought a 24" Fierce Carbon Rival in 300PRC. I've been working on loads for 220gr ELD-X, 220gr SMK and now 199gr Hammer Hunters.

I got very good velocity nodes just shy of 3000fps.

However, I was super surprised to see that my rifle is pushing the 220 ELDX 15fps faster than a 199 Hammer Hunter. Is this odd? Someone on Facebook suggested it might not be developing as much pressure because of the rings or something like that.

I'm wondering if my powder is too slow and if I may need to step up to something quicker for the lighter bullet.

Load:
199gr Hammer Hunter
81.5gr Retumbo
New Lapua brass
Fed 215 Magnum primers

Any thoughts?
A few questions for you? Did you run out of case space for the Retumbo or do you still have room to keep working up? Are you comparing the same charge for the Hammer compared to the other bullets? Charge for charge the Hammer will likely be slower due to less engraving pressure. If you are out of case capacity then we need to look at a diff or faster powder. We just need to find the powder that will get us to pressure with a pretty full case.

Yes, I am close to case capacity but not there yet.

I was comparing charge to charge on different bullets. I'm sure the engraving pressure. A really appreciate everyone's perspective. I'm going to get a little bit hotter powder when I can find it. I had a really good node so I'm still going to test accuracy.

You guys are awesome

Ooops! I said a few questions and really only asked 2. Hopefully the Hammer Police won't get uptight! @FEENIX

Sorry for the derail. I just can't resist.
A few questions for you? Did you run out of case space for the Retumbo or do you still have room to keep working up? Are you comparing the same charge for the Hammer compared to the other bullets? Charge for charge the Hammer will likely be slower due to less engraving pressure. If you are out of case capacity then we need to look at a diff or faster powder. We just need to find the powder that will get us to pressure with a pretty full case.
That's the way I load the hammers , if I run out of capacity then I go too a faster powder , works everytime.

Yes, I am close to case capacity but not there yet.

I was comparing charge to charge on different bullets. I'm sure the engraving pressure. A really appreciate everyone's perspective. I'm going to get a little bit hotter powder when I can find it. I had a really good node so I'm still going to test accuracy.

You guys are awesome
We have only worked with this cartridge once. It was with rl26 and the 181g Hammer Hunter. 3300 fps. 3100 fps should be nicely on the table with the 199g Hammer Hunter.