1970 model 70 7rm help?

gremcat

Ok so I tried to bed a model 70 myself and all #@$% broke loose the screws got bedded into the pillars and I broke the trap door piece trying to get it out That same day I did the job out on my porch (which is covered )and went to work only to return home to find we had some bad weather and now my rifle was starting to rust .So I scrapped the stock put it back in the walnut stock and cleaned the crap out of it .However there is still a few small rust spots in the action where the bolt slides.I have since sent the rest of my rifles to my friends gunsmith shop to bed to new stocks ,etc.But hate to give up on this gun Should Ihave it reblued ?Will thet help inside the action?Also the barrel has a small ding in the outer edge of the crown should Ihave it cut down or just have the gun taken apart rebarreled and then reblued?Is it even worth it or do I just buy a new deer rifle and chock it up to experience?Is the rifle even worth anything at this point?:confused:

The rifle is ruined , you need to send it to me for disposal !!:D

Realy I highly doubt that any serious pitting occured in the several hrs that it was outside , get some good brass or copper brushes , bore brushes work well and scrub the area with WD40 , that will get the rust out and keep it from rusting anymore , it should be fine and I doubt that you will be able to feel any differance.

As for the crown , cutting the barrel back isin't needed just recut the crown and that will fix the trouble generaly no more than .020"-.050" needs to be removed depending on the ding.

On the bedding trouble , well you learned a lesson the hard way , take your mistakes and use them as tools to learn with , release agent is cheap , it may be a pain to clean up but not nearly as bad as not using enough. I conver everything that has any chance of getting bedding compound on it with release agent.

Hey James, Gremcat sounds like me the first time I $crewed up! We all make mistakes and we do learn from it. don't give up on your plans. As for the pitting and the blueing just think,, if you had taken your rifle into the field. It will be rained on, snowed on, and it might get dropped and scratched a bunch, you should have seen my Marlin before I sent it in to Williams, the blueing was gone the stock was scratched and dented and there were screws that were tightened with my knife, and lets not forget the blood that was on the frame! it rusted faster than you would believe. And it will still will fill a tag and drop any Deer, Bear Caibiou, and yes one Moose. That Remi? its a keeper.

Thanks guys I used a bunch of release agent but some how it got goofed up it's way easier to pay the gunsmith 80 bucks or have a friend do it:D
As for the gun It had some rub spots on the barrel so it was gonna get reblued anyway but the small spots I can seem to get out of the raceway or bolt guide or whatever it's called I used some carb cleaner and a nylon brush and the clp to oil it but it still has a little bit .I think I have decided to put it up until my son is big enough for it then fix it for now it will probably be a new .3.. weather warrior or f/tr .308 or something in that range.Definetly a savage fan .Not as smooth sa the win 70 but super accurate.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts