18 power scopes

I run a couple 3-15s on rifles with no issues shooting out past 1300. Not for 1000 yard F class, but for steel, big game and varmint hunting, no problem. I shot a 2.9" 3 shot group @ 921 yards.

Not sure what 24x and 18x you are running, but I would take a great 15x over a mediocre 24x any day.

Last edited:
For myself with what ur describing I would consider a sfp scope. I find reticles like the scr on 25x gets quite thick for pin point aiming, but that's my preference.
I like the tmr style reticle as a preference.
In this scenario I'd also look at the sightron s3 6-24x
I will look at the Redical & features the sightron , but I am an FFP man for life, I will never go back to SFP, but thank you for the info

**** it! You guy are not talking me in the right direction! Lol
But this why I'm asking. I don't want my checkbook talking me into the wrong
direction/decision !

Without combing the planet, what are some other floating DOT radicals in the thousand dollar-ish area? ( in FFP)

I run a couple 3-15s on rifles with no issues shooting out past 1300. Not for 1000 yard F class, but for steel, big game and varmint hunting, no problem.

Not sure what 24x and 18x you are running, but I would take a great 15x over a mediocre 24x any day.

I tend to agree with this. I have 2 3-18 VX6's and a 4-24. The 24 is great but I'm actually thinking of getting another 3-18 for a light weight long range hunting rig I'm planning next year as it saves several ounces.

When going down in power, go up in glass quality and use a thinner reticle. Having said all that, considering your intended target that's a real toss up.

Remember, everything is a compromise.

I've got a 6-18 Swarovski on my Sako varmint 22-250 I've never felt like I needed more power to get the job done I shoot prari dogs and coyotes and it seems to do the trick

I tend to agree with this. I have 2 3-18 VX6's and a 4-24. The 24 is great but I'm actually thinking of getting another 3-18 for a light weight long range hunting rig I'm planning next year as it saves several ounces.

When going down in power, go up in glass quality and use a thinner reticle. Having said all that, considering your intended target that's a real toss up.

Remember, everything is a compromise.
Thats why I'm in a stranglehold! LOL

Hi, How many of you run 18 powered scopes on your 300-600 yard setups (like 22-250's, 270's 243's & such)??????? Odiously at the end of the day, its everybody's personal choice of power. But am I asking to much out of a 3-18x44 scope to perform for me out to those ranges I used to run
24 power on that setup like I do on my 1000 yard+ setups. But will I regret dropping to 18???? Thank for any input.
I have 3-18x50 VX6's on four rifles and love them. I've shot coyotes, hogs, and deer out to a thousand with them with no problems.

I would go with higher power for those yardages. But, as someone else noted, glass quality is definitely a major factor. You could probably get away with 18x with a swaro or zeiss, but they're not exactly budget-friendly. 15x would be insufficient imo. Let us know what you end up choosing!
There's been semi loads of game and thousand of people killed out to a 1000 yards with 10x scopes over the last sixty plus years..

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.