18-20" 300 RUM: change my mind..

For a sec I got my wired cross and thought you were talking 308 Norma magnum. Like the old belted case a bit shorter than .300 win mag haha. My 300 Winnie gets 225s to 2800 out of a 24 inch and I couldn't figure out how the heck you could be doing this šŸ¤£
Lol no not the 308 Norma. My grandpa has one of those though. Built it in high school at the local custom builder while he apprenticed. Been hunting with it for over 50 years.

Just be careful with that 225 ELDM. Stupid accurate but I hit a bull elk in the front shoulder at 200 yards out of my 300 PRC and we found 3 chunks of shoulder bone and a blood trail in the snow for about 2 miles before it gradually dried up. We saw where the elk spent the night. Almost certain it destroyed the front shoulder but did not penetrate into lungs. Also my so shot a cow elk with it in the crease at 190 yards. Killed well but no exit. They are soft bullets and won't penetrate well through heavy bone or steep quartering angles. You will be fine in the crease. You may also consider 20-22" and get a shorter suppressor or a folding stock. I love my 22" 300 WSM with a o
Folding magnesium XLR chassis. 16 day sheep hunt and it would fold up and slip in the water holder in my kuiu pack. Barrel was about at the top of my head. No higher. Minimal snagging on tree branches etc.
I've made more kills with eldms than anything else, I've seen the 225 make a huge mess of an elk shoulder but he was frigging anchored.
My wife dropped a cow with a 225 from my 30 nos this season and she didn't even twitch, never seen anything go down so fast with a lung shot.
I use berger as well and they don't kill nearly as fast in my experience, I always avoid the shoulder too cuz it ruins meat

That's incredible velocity!
Mind sharing your load, or powder at least
It's not my load. The rifle was previously owned by Jake @ unknown munitions. He did the development. Petersen brass, 225 eldm, fed 215m, and 91.0gr of n570. I'm assuming he used a labradar for velocity. When I shot these handloads over my buddies cheap chrono it was 2995 fpsā€¦ I'm not sure I believe it but the 5 shots were 2992, 2995, 2994, 2998, 3001

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 55
I'm running a 24" 30 Nos that I'm head over heals for, except that it's stupid frigging long with my Nomad LT suppressor.
The suppression and recoil reduction is amazing to the point that I refuse to ever put the brake back on.
Soo I'm looking to go with a short barrel and continue the suppressed goodness with 225 eldms around 2800 fps.
I don't buy into the "Efficiency" crap, and 700-1000 rounds will take me 4-5 years of shooting.
I have a 3.850 mag box
What do you all think?

And please for the love of Jesus don't recommend a 30 Sherman Mag...
Dead air says the min barrel length for the 300 RUM is 12.5". I'm very interested in how this comes out. I've been thinking about the same thing cause I'm getting tired of packing a small musket. šŸ˜‚

I would do a 15" or sub 16" 300 RUM, but I wouldn't do a 12.5" myself.
I am sure not opposed to anyone doing it though.

Dead air says the min barrel length for the 300 RUM is 12.5". I'm very interested in how this comes out. I've been thinking about the same thing cause I'm getting tired of packing a small musket. šŸ˜‚
With a 12 inch barrel at close range you can miss and still kill game by setting it on fire with the muzzle flash šŸ¤£