18-20" 300 RUM: change my mind..

Here's a pic of my 18" Norma for anyone that was wondering what it was. Definitely need to get a suppressor. Leaning towards a Diligent Defense can

Anti-x
18" c6 magnum contour with bigger/longer breech
Ti pro brake
Ag composite alpine hunter
Hawkins dbm/mag
Leupold mk5

Attachments

• 810B8214-8A06-43CA-BC77-8A2ABD28F2D9.jpeg
    810B8214-8A06-43CA-BC77-8A2ABD28F2D9.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 86
My 20" 30 nosler built by Dallas (elkhunter338) got 9 fireings on one piece of ADG brass before loosing the primer pocket, sending the 215 Bergers @2970 fps with Retumbo. That was at like 30 rounds down the tube, before the barrel gained 50ish fps. Currently running the 208 Berger LRHT @2980 fps with H1000, with another node around 3050 fps, but this lower one shoots better. However, I'm also running the killer bat vampire action, and Dallas's non saami chamber. I think that combo really gets everything possible out of the 30 nosler. I feel like I am giving up nothing with the short barrel, heck it already took a mule deer this season at 1020. If I reamed the chamber out to 300 rum, it would run 3100+ no doubt. 150 rounds on this rifle now, and so far my action screws haven't moved or loosened up. Could be due to the action design (aluminum construction, flat bottom with threaded action bosses), a round bottom action may have different results.

20220719_095358.jpg

20220917_140219.jpg

Last edited:
my 20" RUM is running 98 grains of N570, runs 215 bergers at 3075.

Do a stock tho with a solid bedding job and the unknown munitions DBM and 3.95" mags.

My chassis can't handle it and the front action screw backs out.
Fantastic
Those Unknown Munitions DBM kits look awesome!
I wonder if it'd fit my anTi action??

What's your tripod/head setup?
Not sure of the model but it says Manfrotto 055XPROB. Somewhat heavy, but heavy duty with good leg adjustments latches. The head is a Manfrotto 488RC2, very stout and is rated for 22lbs. It holds my 18 lb rifles with ease. It's a pig saddle on top but the hog saddles are sturdier. I got it all as a package for a very good deal.
Il probably be switching most of my LR stuff to arca eventually. I remember after one of our local competitions every one lined out all kinds of makes of tripods and heads and we shot at 500 & 800 yards trying each. There was no comparison to me, the RRS tripod with their arca head was by far the most stable, and a plus it was much lighter than the others.

Not sure of the model but it says Manfrotto 055XPROB. Somewhat heavy, but heavy duty with good leg adjustments latches. The head is a Manfrotto 488RC2, very stout and is rated for 22lbs. It holds my 18 lb rifles with ease. It's a pig saddle on top but the hog saddles are sturdier. I got it all as a package for a very good deal.
Il probably be switching most of my LR stuff to arca eventually. I remember after one of our local competitions every one lined out all kinds of makes of tripods and heads and we shot at 500 & 800 yards trying each. There was no comparison to me, the RRS tripod with their arca head was by far the most stable, and a plus it was much lighter than the others.
Those rrs setups look awesome just a lot of coin for a tripod and I'm not sure how much I'd use it in the field. I do really like arca though and shooting from a tripod would be nice when the grass is super tall but I don't even like packing my swaro ats 80 and sirui tripod setup that much 😂😂

I agree, they are that's why I don't have one…yet. My current tripod gets used for spotting mainly then for night hunting pigs and coyotes. Where I don't have to pack it more than 2 or 3 miles. I have a nikon ultra light tri pod and spotter for mountain hunts.

In playing around with a buddies QL I found 20 inches to be a real sweet spot regarding losses and gains.

I think it's a great idea but not sure why you wouldn't stick with the 30 nos. It's a great round which only suffers from poor marketing. Side by side in 20 inch barrels they'd likely shoot to the same or nearly same velocity.

Best of luck and post up your build. Sounds like a great one.
Agree. Throat the 30 Nosler properly and it's a beast.

My 20" 30 nosler built by Dallas (elkhunter338) got 9 fireings on one piece of ADG brass before loosing the primer pocket, sending the 215 Bergers @2970 fps with Retumbo. That was at like 30 rounds down the tube, before the barrel gained 50ish fps. Currently running the 208 Berger LRHT @2980 fps with H1000, with another node around 3050 fps, but this lower one shoots better.

I bet you get 20 loadings from that loads cases before the pocket is blown out. Maybe a split neck if you don't anneal. The elk will certainly not noticed the difference using that lower node.

Agree. Throat the 30 Nosler properly and it's a beast.
Yeah I really like my custom throated 30 Nos but there's no way it'll run with a 20" RUM based on the data I've seen so far.
I'm pressuring out in my 24" barrel at lower velocities than guys on here are getting at 20" with like powders

I bet you get 20 loadings from that loads cases before the pocket is blown out. Maybe a split neck if you don't anneal. The elk will certainly not noticed the difference using that lower node.
He got 9 reloads on one piece of brass before the pocket gave up.