160gr Matrix

Go figure! I've been waiting for the weather to clear up to give the 142s a run in my 264. Now these show up and I've got the twist to run them. Guess ill be testing a couple loads this summer!

How do you fellas think these bullets would do in a .260AI? I am running Berger 140gr VLDs right now at 3012fps with RL17 and no pressure signs what so ever, 29" tube and 1-8 twist.

Lookin good! What kind of velocity?......Rich

Took my cheap chrony out today and it was reading 2940. Also shot my 7mm WSM over it and it was ready about 40 fps low for that rifle so I am guessing it was 2975ish. Also shot it out to 425 in some terrible gusty winds yesterday and shot a 4" 5 shot group. There was only 1.25" of vertical and about 3.5" Horizontal, I was frustrated and shot a group at 200 that went 1/2". I also loaded up some H1000 starting loads that chronographed about 100 fps slower but shot 1.25" at 200. These bullets seem fairly forgiving and have been easy to load for.

Took my cheap chrony out today and it was reading 2940. Also shot my 7mm WSM over it and it was ready about 40 fps low for that rifle so I am guessing it was 2975ish. Also shot it out to 425 in some terrible gusty winds yesterday and shot a 4" 5 shot group. There was only 1.25" of vertical and about 3.5" Horizontal, I was frustrated and shot a group at 200 that went 1/2". I also loaded up some H1000 starting loads that chronographed about 100 fps slower but shot 1.25" at 200. These bullets seem fairly forgiving and have been easy to load for.

That's good news and pretty good velocity too!.......Rich

Just got mine in the mail today!! Darn good looking bullets. My 6.5 SAUM is at my smith's 400 miles away. Think it's time for a road trip.

Left to right. 130 JLK, 140 JLK, 160 Matrix, 180 7mm JLK. Excuse the sideway's pic, **** iphone

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 85
Tghis thread was a great "heads up" for me. I have a 6.5-06 AI with a 1-8 twist that just didn't like the 140 gr. bullets. I've been shooting the 130 gr. ABs for the past three years. Pleased with the accuracy, but always wanting more in the higher BC category. I ordered 300 count this morning. We'll see how it goes.

As a general rule: the faster the velocity of the bullet, the less twist required to stabilize it. Some on this thread have a 1 in 9 twist and having success.

As a general rule: the faster the velocity of the bullet, the less twist required to stabilize it. Some on this thread have a 1 in 9 twist and having success.

I ran loads in my 264win yesterday, maxed-out around 3100fps & actually was seeing about 3/4" groupings til my barrel began fouling... long story short, groups were difficult to measure because my 1:9 is a little short for stabilizing these bullets (hole were slightly key-holed) ...even at 3100*

1:8.5 might work if you can push it as fast (or faster) But only trial will really tell. Can be guaranteed my re-barrelling (which is coming up very soon) will be done with an 8 or 8.5 twist.. specifically to shoot these 160's!

Here's a pic of a single bullets "keyhole" (that I'm talking about) ..not quite what you want to see*
image.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts