160gr Matrix

I volunteer if no one else does. While i am doing the reduced velocity i can do a high velocity, someone could probably do it before me though, as we just got about 18" of snow today. :rolleyes: might be a while before i can make it to the range.

Geez Riley! Can't you expand one on a LARGE snowman?:D.......Rich

This could be a real shot in the dark.. but have any of you's tried them in 1:9 barrels?

...My 264win is only a 1:9 and handles the 140 Berger fine (which is also 1:8 recommended!!) Have shot so far as 840 at steel, but no issues to that distance with 'em* I can't say "they" are in-stable or tumbling

Can someone comment on this by chance ?? With so-much longer bearing surface on that 160, maybe it would-be a stretch to shoot 'em through a 1:9 ??? I don't know.

??

I am surprised they are stabilizing in a 1:8

Cool tests fellas, I might hafta order some for my WSM.

I am surprised they are stabilizing in a 1:8

Cool tests fellas, I might hafta order some for my WSM.

So far I have not observed any signs of instability. It may show up beyond 1450yds, which is as far as I've shot them.

My main interest in the heavier than 140gr bullets is the sectional density, which at .328 puts it right up there with some of the larger caliber bullets (i.e. 210gr /.308)

One thing that I really like is the stability in the wind. With the 155's last year and these 160's I find that in light to medium winds I tend to over estimate the amount of wind correction needed, It just doesn't take much until they get way out there.
Cliff

Man, I was thinking a thread about this needed to be started last week and here it is. Good job Cliff.

I hope to have my 160 Matrix this week. I doubt it though. They said they would ship today. I am excited though. I like the pictures showind seating depth accuracy nodes. I am not all that surprised at the .090 off. My rifle went from .5ish inconsistent groups to .25 goig from .075 to .105. It was an accidental depth as I was actually looking .090. Ha ha they shouldn't let me out of the house.

Man, I was thinking a thread about this needed to be started last week and here it is. Good job Cliff.

I hope to have my 160 Matrix this week. I doubt it though. They said they would ship today. I am excited though. I like the pictures showind seating depth accuracy nodes. I am not all that surprised at the .090 off. My rifle went from .5ish inconsistent groups to .25 goig from .075 to .105. It was an accidental depth as I was actually looking .090. Ha ha they shouldn't let me out of the house.

.090" off bodes VERY well for my 6.5 SS. All kinds of room to load in a std. Remmy SA mag box!:D

Speaking of bullet testing.... :)

Right?! I actually went out 2weekends ago... shortly after I got setup the winds switched from 6 o'clock to 8:30-ish & bumped up to 18mph average with gusts over 20mph... I was actually prone with a round chambered (the new G10's) when the wind ripped my target from the backer to never be seen again... call me a girl but I quit right then & there...(blood pressure issues if you catch my drift) Been buried in snow ever since.

60.0 grains of N570 went 3032fps
60.4 grains " " " 3045fps

Ladder test goes to 64.0 in .04 increments..... It's been a long time coming I know...

t

comparison.jpg

Mine showed up today. Hopefully I can get out this week and do some shooting to see how they work out of my 6.5-06AI. Here is a comparison of some bullets from left to right; 6.5 140 Berger Hybrid, 6.5 140 berger VLD, 6.5 160 Matrix VLD, 7mm 168 Berger VLD, 7mm 180 Berger VLD.

Last edited:
Yeah, the winds can be real pesky this time of year. I've been having some issues with them. Someone in Rapid City will probably find your target :D

Sorry for the distraction Cliff :rolleyes:
HaHa it's all good!
I have threatened to put together a schuetzenwagon so I could just pull up open a window and shoot in draft free comfort:rolleyes:
Cliff

View attachment 20845

Mine showed up today. Hopefully I can get out this week and do some shooting to see how they work out of my 6.5-06AI. Here is a comparison of some bullets from left to right; 6.5 140 Berger Hybrid, 6.5 140 berger VLD, 6.5 160 Matrix VLD, 7mm 168 Berger VLD, 7mm 180 Berger VLD.

Shot an A.I. for years before I built the Sherman. I'll be anxious to see your results. What barrel do you have?.......Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.