16.5” 6.5 prc? build

that's for the info that's definitely helpful. I'm still trying to decide on; get a new bolt for $350 and wait x weeks for it to get her from defiance or stock either the .308 bolt face and do some getting like 22 creedmoor. The only thing this rifle will take is gonna be deer size game and smaller and a heavy 224 with good velocity will be more than adequate for that
Yeah I don't know if I'd do a PRC for that. The 6mm family is really hard to beat in that realm. I have a 6 creed in a TC pistol, 11" barrel that runs a 115 at 2550. That'll knock the crap out of a deer. Run that in a 16.5' and you're talking 2800 plus. Another option that might kind of cool is a 6 PRC. Run a 105-115 and you'd be pushing 3000-3100 I'd bet.

Yeah I don't know if I'd do a PRC for that. The 6mm family is really hard to beat in that realm. I have a 6 creed in a TC pistol, 11" barrel that runs a 115 at 2550. That'll knock the crap out of a deer. Run that in a 16.5' and you're talking 2800 plus. Another option that might kind of cool is a 6 PRC. Run a 105-115 and you'd be pushing 3000-3100 I'd bet.
That'd still be a prc case which would still require a new bolt for my defiance action. I think I'm gonna look closer at the chambering options I have available with my .308 bolt. Since I got a smokin deal on this barreled action if I had my heart set on running a wsm bolt face I'd just split this barreled action up and it'd pay for a brand new bighorn origin and steel barrel. The bighorn atleast has swappable bolt heads and they're much cheaper and easier to get than a new bolt from defiance

That'd still be a prc case which would still require a new bolt for my defiance action. I think I'm gonna look closer at the chambering options I have available with my .308 bolt. Since I got a smokin deal on this barreled action if I had my heart set on running a wsm bolt face I'd just split this barreled action up and it'd pay for a brand new bighorn origin and steel barrel. The bighorn atleast has swappable bolt heads and they're much cheaper and easier to get than a new bolt from defiance
I get it, just saying the 6.5 PRC is not really the direction I'd go unless you really want to and then it might be the 6 PRC instead.

IF you want more umph I'd likely do a 260 AI or a 6-284. Both very capable.

I have a bighorn TL3 SA and 3 heads. I swap from 204, 223, 6.5 creed, 6.5PRC quickly. I am super happy I went this route.

The bighorns definitely seem like the most feature rich actions for the money. I'd like to check one out in person but haven't yet. My only experience with a custom action is kelbly and I love it so far. The defiance is one I always wanted to try and might just stick with it because of the deal I got on it I just need to decide on which caliber I want to go with. Definitely leaning towards 6.5 something or smaller. I'd rather do a caliber I can buy brass for without having to do fire forming or neck down

The bighorns definitely seem like the most feature rich actions for the money. I'd like to check one out in person but haven't yet. My only experience with a custom action is kelbly and I love it so far. The defiance is one I always wanted to try and might just stick with it because of the deal I got on it I just need to decide on which caliber I want to go with. Definitely leaning towards 6.5 something or smaller. I'd rather do a caliber I can buy brass for without having to do fire forming or neck down
Both worthy. The 6's are super capable and fun to shoot. Nothing wrong with a 224 caliber too but I like the 6 better for overall hunting.

I have a defiance on my 300 PRC and love it, but as far as buying brass. Stay away from the PRC's A few months back I was necking down both 416 Ruger and 375 Ruger to 300 PRC what a process!!! Finally scored some ADG brass!

I have a defiance on my 300 PRC and love it, but as far as buying brass. Stay away from the PRC's A few months back I was necking down both 416 Ruger and 375 Ruger to 300 PRC what a process!!! Finally scored some ADG brass!

Attachments

• 67FB2759-C1C4-4BE4-BC1A-806FB18E907A.jpeg
    67FB2759-C1C4-4BE4-BC1A-806FB18E907A.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 50
  • 985FEEF5-8A67-4C9C-B1B6-FDDE291DB8AE.jpeg
    985FEEF5-8A67-4C9C-B1B6-FDDE291DB8AE.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 55
image.jpg

Just got my action! It's go time on deciding what caliber I wanna run. Brass availability for the prc is definitely an issue but hopefully it'll pop up in the coming weeks/months if I go that route. Still leaning towards 22cm at the moment even though brass isn't available anywhere for it either lol

Almost all rifles can get it done with the proper bullet placement and it's definitely none of my concern what someone else builds. Just say you are going to sacrifice a LOT of velocity for convenience of easy handling. Don't act like there's something free in this world. You don't gain in one area without sacrificing in some other area.
when I was starting the build on my 300 WM the gunsmith asked me what length barrel I was going to use. After I told him 26" he said, " Sounds good, I'm tired of building 300 WMs with an 18" bbl burning ~ 78 grains of powder to get almost the same you can get from a .308 with an 18" bbl. Some cartridges get a more complete & efficient burn with a shorter bbl than others. The 65 PRC is not one of those cartridges.

I don't believe the #'s I hear on the internet for the velocity with 18" 65 PRC barrels. With my 65 PRCs I lose almost 50 fps per inch with Bartlein bbls. With my 65 CMs I lose 20-25 fps per inch.

I don't know how it is out west but here in the East the handling can definitely play as much if not more of a part than the velocity loss. Here in PA we can go from hunting thick pines where shots are sub 20 yards and you have to turn sideways to get between the trees to the big woods where 200 yard shots through the trees are possible to shooting 600 yards across a field all in a single drive. Add in riding UTV's, getting in cars to switch properties plus movement in blinds and stands, an 18" rifle is significantly more manageable than a 26" when adding a 7" can on the end. Personally if rather have the suppressor than an extra 200 fps.

As for velocity my Dad's 18" PRC was getting 3175 to 3200 FPS with the 123 AH while I was getting 3300 FPS out of a 24" barrel with the same load. The benefit to the shorter barrel is running them suppressed and honestly the 18" suppressed PRC is giving near identical results to our standard 7600 in 30-06 shooting the 150gr SST. By switching to something smaller like the 6.5 Creedmoor it would drop my velocity to 2900 or so which puts me below my 1800 fps at 600 yards requirement.

I think 6.5prc is out of the question with this action because I called defiance today and was told 37 weeks to get a magnum bolt. Only option at this point would be to flip the barreled action I just got yesterday and get a bighorn origin so I can have the swappable bolt feature. Otherwise my other option is to keep this defiance and stick within my 308 bolt face and the most interesting and fun cartridge sounds like the 22cm as of right now.

I don't know how it is out west but here in the East the handling can definitely play as much if not more of a part than the velocity loss. Here in PA we can go from hunting thick pines where shots are sub 20 yards and you have to turn sideways to get between the trees to the big woods where 200 yard shots through the trees are possible to shooting 600 yards across a field all in a single drive. Add in riding UTV's, getting in cars to switch properties plus movement in blinds and stands, an 18" rifle is significantly more manageable than a 26" when adding a 7" can on the end. Personally if rather have the suppressor than an extra 200 fps.

As for velocity my Dad's 18" PRC was getting 3175 to 3200 FPS with the 123 AH while I was getting 3300 FPS out of a 24" barrel with the same load. The benefit to the shorter barrel is running them suppressed and honestly the 18" suppressed PRC is giving near identical results to our standard 7600 in 30-06 shooting the 150gr SST. By switching to something smaller like the 6.5 Creedmoor it would drop my velocity to 2900 or so which puts me below my 1800 fps at 600 yards requirement.
Maybe not out west but high country colorado where I hunt (Gunnison/Crested Butte) you can get a nice close 600 yd shot or an extended 1,500 to 2,000 yd shot with no tree cover! Lol

Attachments

• 10CE2516-5188-47B9-8081-2067EE006B9C.jpeg
    10CE2516-5188-47B9-8081-2067EE006B9C.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 42
  • 82261100-9586-4876-A7D2-BD18FA35D901.jpeg
    82261100-9586-4876-A7D2-BD18FA35D901.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 36
  • 5D72BA28-3EB0-49D5-A4D0-17C5F6C19469.jpeg
    5D72BA28-3EB0-49D5-A4D0-17C5F6C19469.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 37

Recent Posts