156gr Berger EOL Elite Hunter Reviews

Although it does not have as high a ballistic coefficient, the Norma 6,5 mm / .264
156-grain Oryx IS a bonded bullet. The Oryx has been around quite a while and
has a deservedly great reputation in all sorts of international venues..... Doc D

I would not recommend using that bullet. I have no experience with that caliber and weight of Berger but I have shot 6 animals (Not a mature bull elk) with 7mm 195 grain moving at 3100 fps and there is no way I would use it on elk. There was maybe 40/50 grains of bullet left after recovery of two of the occasions, mule deer and Pronghorn all over 300 yards. Of course broadside standing straight into lungs at 100/200 yards sure it will work great, but everything has to be right. Try and take a shoulder out, quartering to angle with a Berger on mature bull with a 6.5 Berger, I would not try it. Stick with a 140 Accubond or Partition, I know, old school. At least you know it will penetrate, And penetration kills elk. You cannot shock them to death with 6.5. That being said I love Berger bullets, just not in a small caliber on a mature Bull.

I did read it. I read how
Someone misused a product that clearly says right on the box "not for hunting use".
Which target bullet would suggest for hunting large game??
Tell me where it says that on the box.

Attachments

• 20201103_080515.jpg
    20201103_080515.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 243
I shot a mule deer this year at 250 yds with my 6.5 SAUM using 156 EH. 2900 fps at the muzzle. Hit just behind the shoulder and exited taking out two ribs. Without hitting bone on the entry side, there wasn't that much expansion but there was some shock damage on the entry side as is typical. The pencil hole through the lungs was some what disappointing but the deer tottered and tipped over after several seconds. This was my first experience with game with the 156 EH and I was satisfied but not impressed with the results. I'm pretty sure that if I had hit a shoulder, the results would have been more impressive but this was a meat buck and I was trying not to hit a shoulder and cause more damage.
My grandson is using a 6.5 CM that I load for and I wouldn't consider loading the 156 EH for it. (seating depth and muzzle velocity limitations)

Ha!
ive read plenty of posts/threads but have not seen much of anything on the 156gr in a 6.5CM.

many posters do say use heavy for caliber which this would be, which would keep the FPS down and essentially would ensure expansion.

also to make sure the tips are open.

just curious of performance of the 156gr 6.5CM on Elk, and large mule deer.

Antelope experience is all so far on game with the 156. Worked well at close range and we used the 175 elite Hunter the same trip which dropped one at 1130 yards and expanded well. The 156 is also very consistent and easy to develop a good load with. This was from the 6.5 SS. It would be long in the Creedmoor probably over 2.950 COAL guessing and run 2600-2700 FPS so check their twist rate calculator. Maybe work up a load with the 140 elite hunter and the 156 EOL. If your working in the 500 yard range and under the overall advantage may go to the faster lighter projectile slightly.

would not be my choice for a creedmoor I would look more at the 135 or 140 if your wanting to shoot bergers nothing against the bullet just dont think its the best choice for that chambering
If your rifle has a longer throat that allows you to seat them out a ways, you can get some good numbers out of them with rl26 powder if the rifle likes it. A friend is running them in a factory tikka rifle with a 24" barrel, and he is push the 156 at 2830 fps. And holding half moa at 400 yds with a factory rifle. I had to see it to believe it myself.

Everything I have shot with the 156gr berger hasn't taken a step - 5 whitetails and 2 coyotes, ranges from 110yards to 383 yards. BUT I am running them at 3,156 fps in a 264 win mag. I would not personally shoot a 6.5 creedmoor at an elk, with any bullet.

I would suggest shooting a 270 win or 30-06 and even putting a muzzle break on there to help with recoil. My 115lb wife shoots a 6.5 lb 30-06 with no issues.

If the 6.5 creedmoor is all you have to work with, I'd go with a barnes bullet to ensure it held together and penetrated deep - the 120gr or 130gr ttsx would work great and you would be able to run them a little faster as well.

Everything I have shot with the 156gr berger hasn't taken a step - 5 whitetails and 2 coyotes, ranges from 110yards to 383 yards. BUT I am running them at 3,156 fps in a 264 win mag. I would not personally shoot a 6.5 creedmoor at an elk, with any bullet.

I would suggest shooting a 270 win or 30-06 and even putting a muzzle break on there to help with recoil. My 115lb wife shoots a 6.5 lb 30-06 with no issues.

If the 6.5 creedmoor is all you have to work with, I'd go with a barnes bullet to ensure it held together and penetrated deep - the 120gr or 130gr ttsx would work great and you would be able to run them a little faster as well.
All I have is 6.5cm
Already have some TTSX loaded and ready to test. Wanted a little more weight behind them.
If the #s and ballistics work- I don't see a problem with it personally.

If you can get them 2750 or so out of a creed, they should work good. If your temps where you hunt don't get too high, I would try Reloder 26. If you want more stability, try VV-N565. If neither of those are an option, Reloder 16, stable, similar to H4350 but a little more velocity. If you can't get rl16, H4350 or H4831sc. If you can't get any of those, you will have to wait a few months after Trump wins the election before anything becomes available.....ha ha
What kind of velocities did you see with the n565?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.