156gr Berger EOL Elite Hunter Reviews

I'm getting a little over 2,550 from my 20" creed with Berger factory 156. Seriously thinking about using them on whitetails here in Indiana where my shots will be 50 to maybe 300 yards.
At 50 yards it's overkill. The Berger will blow through so fast that it makes a huge exit hole. Been there done that.

I just took this cow (elk) 2 weeks ago at 200 yds. Hit it beetween the eyes and it went down. I used a 6.5 prc with 156 bergers at 2890 fps.

Attachments

• 615EB55A-7585-4ABF-8342-7BB580779D90.jpeg
    615EB55A-7585-4ABF-8342-7BB580779D90.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 244
  • 4CCA2C35-3C8A-497A-A128-8B108C68C948.jpeg
    4CCA2C35-3C8A-497A-A128-8B108C68C948.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 232
anyone have any experience with this bullet?

Thoughts would be to use on Elk with the higher BC out of the wife's 6.5CM at under 400/500 yards

I notice that many are recommending the 156 in cartridges more powerful than the OP's 6.5 Creedmoor. I don't doubt their experiences. But He is asking about 6.5 Creedmoor. There is a limit to how fast the Creedmoor can push a 156.

It is like a guy asking about a .308 Winchester bullet and you tell him all about your .300 RUM loading for that bullet. Don't get me wrong, I think the 6.5-284 and 6.5 PRC are really great cartridges. But he's asking for his Creedmoor. And every time you compare apples to oranges you end up with a bowl of fruit loops.

I killed two bull elk last year with my 6.5 GAP 4S Mountain Rifle that I got from our own Len Backus. Shooting 156 Bergers at 2850 fps I stoned both elk (150 and 250 yards). I would say they would work in a Creedmoor just fine. Do your click chart and don't shoot at any distance where the bullet is going less than 1800 fps. Hopefully, your wife can twist turrets. Good luck.

PS--it wasn't the 215 Berger that was bad!

Shot a desert bighorn and a dall with them this year out of my 6.5x284 worked well
Desert was a dead on shot at 175 yards straight up hill. Entered just inside the armpit and stopped just on the inside of the hide in front of the opposite hip. I would have brought it back and weighed it if one of the Mexican guides didn't throw it in the rocks when I showed it to him lol. Had pretty good weight retention. On the dall it blew out the heart and he didn't go anywhere.

building a 6.5 wsm need to know h1000 powder loads an which primer to use but guess nobody can afford to build one or just dont know or which kind of powders to us america is a big place but guess people dont know if i had any info would say something but nobody noses

you guys have info on little chicken/s guns but nothing eles dont know why i resd posts bunch of dumb asses out there w/all there loadds probably cant afford 22shells

The creedmoor is just a 250/3000 Savage loaded to higher pressure with a high Ballistic Co Effecient VLD projectile. I cannot understand how experienced shooters can be conned by the sales hype that promotes these products, I guess ******** baffles Brains.
If you want to shoot elk at these distances use a 270 w or a 30/06 loaded with appropiate BC projectiles. There is a bigger range of 30 cal projectiles than any other & even a 300 WM would not be undergunned for elk at these ranges use enough gun & save your creedmore for shooting prariedogs/ coyotes or targets at that range.
By Comparison sub 30 calibre cartridges are not legal to hunt deer( Sambar) in Southern Australia (Vistoria)
Vaughn G

6.5 CM/156 EOL/Lapua SRP/CCI 450/RL26 combo has been perfect for us so far. Moving the 156 at 2790 from a short action rifle under 8 lbs. This gives us over 1000 ft lbs energy at 1000 yards/1500 ft lbs at 650 yards and will suffice for most of my large game hunting needs (elk/deer). I have never personally taken game with this rifle/load but my grandkids use it consistently and have taken a few good bucks. Great performance. I have been hunting with a 25 CM/131 Blackjack this year and have been pleasantly surprised. If you want to go with the 156/RL26 in a SA the powder will be compressed to achieve higher velocities. I just tap the case on my table as the powder feeds through the funnel to help it settle. Will not provide the powder charge as each will need to work up their own loads.
I have also gone with the EOLs in our 7mm WSM and 270 WSM. Just easier to find accurate loads and the accuracy/effectiveness is very good.
Your wife should do well with the 156 in a CM at 500 yards or less.

6.5 CM/156 EOL/Lapua SRP/CCI 450/RL26 combo has been perfect for us so far. Moving the 156 at 2790 from a short action rifle under 8 lbs. This gives us over 1000 ft lbs energy at 1000 yards/1500 ft lbs at 650 yards and will suffice for most of my large game hunting needs (elk/deer).

Your wife should do well with the 156 in a CM at 500 yards or less.
What made you use a magnum primer? With the 156EOL? Ask what rifle and what barrel length?

What made you use a magnum primer? With the 156EOL? Ask what rifle and what barrel length?
The mag primers hold up better to higher pressures and I am pushing it fairly hard to get that velocity from a 22" barrel. This load has no heavy bolt lift in my rifle but the primers are confirming I am close to maxing out.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.