143 Hammer Hunter vs 169 Hammer Hunter

Skeeter05

Looking for experience out past 500 yards, specifically in the wind. I have a load worked up for the 143 in my 7LRM and it shoots extremely well. My concern is the wind deflection. Trying to decide if the 169 is a better option at long distance. I like the idea of a faster projectile however wind is a concern of mine. Planning on working on this over the summer for elk in the fall.

At 100 yards out of a 7 prc, the 143 hammers were ragged hole accurate but, when I moved out to 600 yards things got wonky as far as grouping goes, they opened up considerably. I moved on to 180 Berger hybrids that are working much much better. Another but, I've since bought 155 hammers to try out to see if they hold tighter at distance. I shoot eastern Utah which next to Wyoming is never calm, it'll challenge the best

I see you are posting about wind. I will have to admit that the wind on both of those shots was under 4 mph. The 169 Gr hammer Hunter BC that I use is .237 G7. The 170 Gr HHT G7 BC that lines up for me out to 1000 yards is .260. If that's of any help to you.

I shoot the 140 absolute, not the 143 HH, but I've shot it around 550 and 650 in breezes. Not real wind mind you but decent hunting-safe breeze and I was shooting it and the 180 ELDM at the same time. No discernible difference between the two in variable air at a right angle to the shot. it was the same wind hold essentially at 550. Obviously not a huge challenge but I was getting extremely consistent travel. Have you had a crummy time with wind holds with your 143 setup? Posted BC on the hammer site for the 140AH is on the nuts for me, .225 I think. Raw speed and an OK BC is a reasonable substitute for high BC so far in my case, but with your larger case I can't think of an argument to NOT go bigger. Why not? Fairly hoping for them to drop an HHT in the 155 family, that would be the easy button for my gun.

I was running my 7RM at 3300 (mv) fps at 600 yards and the 143HH. It was right at 1/2 moa (3" groups) and accurate to the advertised bc at 7000 feet. I took my first deer with it and it was effective to say the least. I don't think I have enough twist to run the 170 class HH however. Mine is 8.5 twist.

I was shooting 199 hh in a 300 prc, I limited the rifle in strong wind. I'm moving back to projectiles with a better BC this season. I shot them in heavy wind and I just decided it wasn't for me at range. I think if you run them how they are designed it's great, I want that outer distance.

I shoot the 140 absolute, not the 143 HH, but I've shot it around 550 and 650 in breezes. Not real wind mind you but decent hunting-safe breeze and I was shooting it and the 180 ELDM at the same time. No discernible difference between the two in variable air at a right angle to the shot. it was the same wind hold essentially at 550. Obviously not a huge challenge but I was getting extremely consistent travel. Have you had a crummy time with wind holds with your 143 setup? Posted BC on the hammer site for the 140AH is on the nuts for me, .225 I think. Raw speed and an OK BC is a reasonable substitute for high BC so far in my case, but with your larger case I can't think of an argument to NOT go bigger. Why not? Fairly hoping for them to drop an HHT in the 155 family, that would be the easy button for my gun.

All I have for experience with the 143's is at the "range" shooting out to 1000. No issue on the wind holds I was just wanting to weigh the options of a slower/heavier projectile at distance vs a faster/lighter projectile. I really like the hammer performance and I am trying to minimize wind hold (mostly my poor calculation of wind in a hunting situation) as much as possible and still get the performance that I have seen thus far with these projectiles.

I was running my 7RM at 3300 (mv) fps at 600 yards and the 143HH. It was right at 1/2 moa (3" groups) and accurate to the advertised bc at 7000 feet. I took my first deer with it and it was effective to say the least. I don't think I have enough twist to run the 170 class HH however. Mine is 8.5 twist.
FYI Hammer advertises minimum twist rate for 170 HHT is 1 in 8.5.

What is your velocity with the 143? I can make some assumptions and run the numbers in a calculator and let you know how much wind you will gain. If any