142g. LR Accubond use

littlebighorn

I am pretty new to this forum, but love the content! Here's my question. Are any of you using the 142g LR Accubond in 6.5s with good results? I'm talking accuracy and terminal effectiveness. I'm primarily looking to use it in a new 6.5/284 but I also have a 6.5 Creedmoor. What do you think?

Last edited:
I loaded them for a buddy in his 6.5 Creed. With a little load work-up the bullets were very accurate.
He shot a nice 8 pt whitetail buck in the neck at 150yds or so. The bullet blew a hole in the off side of its neck that a cantaloupe could drop through. He shot a doe broadside at around 100yds and the exit wound was LARGE.

Just a sample of two but that's what I witnessed.

I'm using them in my 264WM & 6.5x47Lapua with superb accuracy and terminal performance at 500+mtrs.
To date, the 264 has seen the most use and the closest shot was just under 350mtr, complete pass thru with an inch exit hole low in the chest wall (steep downhill shot).
I am extremely happy with them so far, in a few different calibre as well, like 308 & 338.

Cheers.

I couldn't get them to shoot accurately out of my 6.5 -284 Norma. The 140 Accubonds worked excessively well. But it was just my experience. I am sure they work very well in someone else's rifle. I am staying with the Accubond for now.

We use 142 Nosler ABLR over 41.5 grs of RL-17, CCI-BR2 primer and Lapua brass. Very accurate. We have not experienced ANY of these bizarre stories of massive exit wound channels...from 80 yds to 375 so far on 7 whitetails, we normally see a 6.5 caliber entry wound and quarter sized exit wound...very accurate and very deadly. We don't shoot shoulders though, all heart shots. I also shoot that bullet in my .260 Remington.

Shoot the 140 gr AB in my 264 mag with tiny groups. Shooting out to 522yd on my range delivers dependable shot after shot accuracy. As to the 142 gr I have never shot them but for as well as the 140's shoot see no reason to try the 142.

I use the lrabs in my rifles....260, 65284, and 280ai...
Have had good luck with them....three deer taken in years have had bullets in perfect form run the lenght of the animals(shattering shots)...
Not running them hot....just a nice fps....also a friend of mine using them in his 65284 at much lower fps but one ragged hole at 2890fps....with a lot of bullets down that barrel I checked with my scope and he had no throat erosion....
Although they are made for longer shooting....i think they are greatly overstated as grenades.....definitely not made to blow through bone.....other than ribs.....get some and get it shooting...
We also shot some into a clay bank couple years ago...dug them out....held up well....a dry rocky bank not so well....

We use 142 Nosler ABLR over 41.5 grs of RL-17, CCI-BR2 primer and Lapua brass. Very accurate. We have not experienced ANY of these bizarre stories of massive exit wound channels...from 80 yds to 375 so far on 7 whitetails, we normally see a 6.5 caliber entry wound and quarter sized exit wound...very accurate and very deadly. We don't shoot shoulders though, all heart shots. I also shoot that bullet in my .260 Remington.
So is that load of RL 17 in a Creedmoor, or 6.5/284?
I've got some RL 23 and 26 I'm wanting to try in the 6.5/284. I run RL 16 and 17 in my Creedmoor.

The RL 17 is for the 6.5 Creedmoor. I use 44 gr. RL 19 in the .260 Rem. I'm guessing you will need to go a bit slower burn rate in 6.5-284, RL 22/23 or I 4831...IDK if you'd need to go a slow as RL-25/26 but prolly worth a try. Lotta guys here shoot 6.5 -284 so prolly hold out for their answers.

ABLR at close range exhibit Ballistic Tip performance without as much "blow-up"/bullet separation.
However destruction is severe at close range and if heavy bone is hit. Great for behind the shoulder shots and opens well at long range.
I've strictly gone back to the original AB due to the fact 99% of my shots taken are 400 yds or less and I don't have to worry if I get into the shoulder area or on quartering shots. I never recovered but one AB and that was from my son's 7/08 that entered behind the shoulder and was recovered about 3" behind the opposite side ear. Perfect mushroom and at. retention.

Also, all the guys hawking the "hammer" bullets probably have something to do with marketing Hammer bullets...trash talking Nosler ABLRs...

Not at all, most of what I shoot is Nosler. The ABLR was the most accurate bullet in my rifle. I switched because of my experience. The mule deer I shot was at 80 yard and the bullet was around 2600 FPS at impact. She was slightly quarrying towards me. The bullet clipped the shoulder and exited mid rib cage on the opposite side. The shoulders were ruined from bloodshot and tiny pieces of lead. On the exit side lead fragments were between the hide and meat in the bloodshot. It is almost as if when it hit the off rib it grenaded sideways in each direction. Just as if you would of shot it into a concrete wall.

As far as hammers, that is what I am starting to shoot now. However, I have killed a bunch of critters with the regular Accubonds and they perform well.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.