Accubond LR report

kstitz

I thought I share my experience with this bullet. I bought a Cooper 7RM in 2015 because i wanted to increase my shooting range beyond what was practical with my Model 70 300wsm.

I had used 180 gr accubonds in my 300wsm for the past 12 years with great results so I had alot of confidence in accubond bullets.

My first kill was a mulie buck in 2015 at about 200 yds, it was a double lung shot & the bullet broke the opposite shoulder. I can not recall if the bullet exited but the deer went about 30yds and died.

This year I shot a cow that had been gut shot by my buddy. About 200 yds she drop in her tracks. The bullet went through both lungs & broke the opposing shoulder.

I also shot a bull at 365 yds, first shot the bull hump up and just stood there, after the 2nd shot he started to slowly walk down the ridge. I sent a third round that broke the opposing shoulder. The 4th round was a quartering away shot as he disappeared over the ridge. When I got to the bull he was laying down with his head down but still alive & could not get up. I finished him off with a shot to the chest.

When we dressed the bull he was shot in the liver and through both lungs an 1 shot was low in the guts. There was a blood trail like I have never seen.

I did notice when dressing the 2 elk that I did find quite a few small bullet fragments. But the bullet definitely did its job.

Elk are tough, even when fatally wounded it's not uncommon for a bull to walk a ways before giving it up.

Even a deer can run a hundred yards or more shot perfectly through the heart/lungs if you don't manage to break the shoulders, spine etc.

It sounds like your bull had multiple fatal shots through him but just wasn't going to give it up until you broke the shoulder.

LR accubond have always been great shooters for me. It can take some time to dial them in and you need higher twist rates to approximate the advertised BC. I see some reporting the advertised BC to be highly inflated but I have found them to be close if you shoot them at higher velocities and spin them fast. This is a picture of deer we shot this year with a 142gr 6.5 LR Accubond at 362 yards. Using .320 G7 BC in Shooter app, 1:8 twist at 3130 fps hitting all targets out to 1000 yards. I am sighting at 3000 feet. This is the entrance wound through the rib cage after passing through the front shoulder

Attachments

• IMG_1981.jpg
    IMG_1981.jpg
    302.3 KB · Views: 96
JTB is that a 6.5X284 Norma you are using?...If so could you post some load data.. Also did you have to do any sorting on the LRAB bullets before you loaded? The box I have has had different bearing surface lengths. I havn't got them dialed in yet either. Thanks for any info.

I just started loading and shooting the 150gr LR in my .270 WSM, groups are currently about 1 moa. What I did notice is that many of the bullets have small imperfections (looks like dents as they were bounced around). Is this common, should i still shoot them?

Thanks, Jeff

Wachsmann. The rifle I am referencing is a M70 chambered in 6.5-06; 24" Douglas barrel. The 142gr LR Accubonds settled in at 1/3 MOA with 59grs of Retumbo, CCI 200 primers, 0.015 off lands at 3130 fps. Using necked down Lapua 30-06 cases (2.490", necks turned). I experienced the same bullet inconveniency problems with the 150gr 270 LR Accubonds when they were first released and abandoned my efforts to dial them in, but the latest 6.5s have been very consistent. I now use the 170 EOL Bergers exclusively with my 270 WSM with great results.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.