140 NBT at 3300fps or 130AB at 3450fps for Elk

MOJO67

Gent's

Doing an Elk hunt this fall and am planning to take my recently rebarreled 270 Weatherby. My hope was to come up with an accurate load combo using 140 NAB's, as I have quite a few on hand. Unfortunately though, I wasn't able to cobble together a load that met my satisfaction. With the current shortage of reloading supplies, I'm forced to use my plan B, which is either a 130 AB or 140 BT. Of course I was able to easily work up sub moa loads for both, Ha!

Now, for the big question. Which one to use? Not planning any shots beyond 4-5 hundred yards and both are almost ballistically identical to those ranges. Not so much worried about bullet performance beyond 300 yds, but inside of 300 is my concern. In your opinion/experience, which of the 2 bullets would hold up/penetrate better, a 130 AB started at 3450 fps or a 140 NBT started at 3300 fps?

Thank you.

Last edited:
I would NOT use a Ballistic Tip on elk out of my 270 Bee!
I find this odd, just about every load I have ever used with a BT of the same weight with a AB has been interchangeable, nose profiles are the same and seating depth is the same.
Why didn't the 140g NBT load work with the 140g NAB?
At 270Bee velocities, I really like the 150g Partition for big bodied critters.
The 160g Partition is an excellent performer too.

Cheers.

I have run the 150 grain Partition in my father's .270 Wby. Magnum , at 3300 FPS , using Norma MRP powder , 250 CCI primers and Weatherby brass .
It always produced sub-MOA accuracy for 3 shot strings . Original 26" thin contour barrel heats-up quickly , so don't shoot more than 3-4 shots without allowing time for barrel to cool .

DMP25-06