140g NBT @ 800 yards

dakor- Sorry if I came off as an a**, that wasn't my intention. I just thought that I would believe what my crony was telling me. I think my crony is broke then... I've seen quite a bit of data to support 140's with a 24" tube to get at least 3200fps, but I dont know now. My load seems to be pretty hot, it leaves shiny marks on the head of the case, but that could also be because I'm in the lands a tad..My rifle is indeed a factory, rem barrel at 24" Heres the thing I dont understand though, 140's usually clock 3250. I had a box of 150g core lokts that I use for break in and cold bore shots, fouling shots, etc, they usually clock 3100-3150fps, that I dont know whether to believe or not, but thats what my crony says every time. While working up 160g AB and 162g AMAX loads, I'm getting the normal 2900-3000fps. 168g VLD were shooting 2950-3000 according to the crony. Same goes for the 175g sierras at 2815 and the 175g uld's at 2875fps. SO everything seems to be falling into cronological order here. Could my crony be giving me false readings of around 200fps?? I hope thats not the case, but what can I do! By the way, shot some 162g AMAX with 61g RL-22. This load usually clocks 2900fps and gives 1/2 MOA every time. haven't stretched her past 100 with this load yet, but with an advertised BC of .625, should be decent.

Hi 25-06 guy,

If you can, try some 22 LR ammo thru your chrono. I use Rem. Standard velocity "Target" ammo to check mine. Always averages 1150 fps--but it ain't target ammo!

Jim

Ummm... I consistently run 3200 FPS with a 140 AB and 4831SC out of my 7RM. I wouldn't discount your velocity. I haven't tried 800 yds, so I can't confirm your drop.

I have pretty much worked everything out that could be the problem..so I'm definately thinking its the speed part of things. Thats what its boiling down to anyways. The BC shouldn't be that far off. Noslers have always been pretty decent about there BC. I checked my scope which is a Leupold vx3 LR 6.5-20x50 30mm, SF and the clicks come out to true .250" as I tested this by dialing 20 MOA at 100 and then seeing how high they impacted, which was right at 20.5". Next I then recorded actual drop at 400 yards from 100 yard zero. If my velocity was indeed 3250fps, I would have only dropped 20" at 400 yards, however this was not the case as I was dropped 23" at 400 yards. Leaving the BC at .485 and changing only velocity to 3075 instead of 3250, then things start to match up like they should at 400 and 800. Its got to be my crony...

If you like the load stick with it. Anything you shoot with it will never know how many clicks it took for you to hit it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif If I were you I would shoot the Amax and B-tip side by side and give the nod to the one that shoots better. Your ejector mark might mean pressure and it might not. Bolt lift and case expansion is what I go by. As for a graph look at a Ohler or Pact. Just like with anything else you get what you pay for and for long range shooting you really want an accurate graph.

Dakor- Ya I think I might just end up sticking with this 140g NBT load. Its been grouping consistently well ever since day 1 I developed the load. Seems to be a winner except in the velocity department! Im a little dissappointed there, but I really doubt a deer or yote is ever going to notice the difference. I'll do some side by side test with the 162g amax for sure. Heres a pic of the 400 yard group I fired yesterday with the 140g load. I was aiming at the top of my board at 400 with the 100 yard zero and this is where the shots landed. I then took a tape measure from the top of the board to the shots, it measured 23" of drop. I like the group though, one of my better ones!

33xezo0.jpg

This pic is of the 20 MOA I dialed up from the 100 yard zero. If you look at the second column of squares from the left and go all the way down, that square was my 100y zero aiming point. I think I drew a line from where I aimed to where the 2 bullets impacted. I dialed 20 MOA and landed 20.5" high, and about 2" to the left. Looks like I have a little bit of cant in my scope as well!! Just thought I would post if anyones interested. This target is also full of 25-06 100g NBT/IMR-4350, and .222 w/55g NBT and I-4198 and I-4895.

2a4skmq.jpg

FWIW.

70.6 grns of RL22 and 140 grain Accubonds gives me an average 3235 fps with Federal cases out of my 7mm RM - a 24 3/8" barrel. Chronographed over an Oehler 33 with 5 foot sensor spacing.

69.5 grns RL22 yielded 3205 fps with 140 grain Ballistic Tips.

In my other 7mm RM rifle, 69.5 grns RL 22 yields an average 3240 fps, but this was with RWS cases, which have less case capacity than the Federal cases. Same barrel length and same Oehler 33 chrongraph.

I don't have any recorded velocities with less than 69.5 grns RL 22 with the 140 grain bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts